Birth & Death Certificates
How to Order a Colorado Birth or Death Certificate During COVID-19
Birth or Death MUST Occur in Colorado
- Summit County Clerk & Recorder cannot assist with Birth or Death records occurring outside of Colorado. Contact the State Vital Records Office of the state where the vital records event occurred.
Online - Fastest, Safest Method
- The Old County Courthouse has been closed for the majority of 2020, without an estimated time of reopening
- Order Colorado Birth and Death Certificates from the Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment’s Office of Vital Statistics Online Ordering Portal safely and remotely
Remote Orders through C&R
- The Clerk & Recorder can process Birth and Death Certificate Orders remotely, not in person. Allow for a longer turnaround time than usual during COVID-19.
- Orders will be mailed back via United States Postal Service to mailing address provided on Request Form. In person orders are not conducted.
- Orders must be placed properly and completely with a request form, copy of eligible Requestor's acceptable form of ID, and placed in the Mail, UPS, FedEx or one of the 5 voting drop boxes around the County
- Payment must also be included (check is best), payable to "Summit County Clerk & Recorder". Fee is $20 for the first copy of a Birth or Death Certificate, $13 for each additional copy, per order. (Example: 2 copies of the same Registrant's Birth Certificate = $33)
- Colorado Birth Certificate Request Form (English)
- Acta de Nacimiento Forma de Solicitud (Español)
- Colorado Death Certificate Request Form (English)
- Acta de Defunción de Colorado Forma de Solicitud (Español)
- Drop to Paper documentation must be transmitted securely, preferably by encrypted email
- DTPs can be encrypted through any encryption service free to the County and emailed to email@example.com
- If you must Fax, use 970-453-3502 and as a backup 970-453-3540