Short Term Rental Regulations
Summit County recently adopted regulations for short term vacation rentals (STRs), which are applicable to properties within the unincorporated areas of Summit County. The newly adopted regulations address the following key items:
- Permitting and fees, and verifying collection and remittance of applicable sales and personal property taxes.
- Regulation of key neighborhood impacts (e.g., parking and trash)
- Regulation of maximum occupancy and other life safety issues (e.g., smoke and carbon monoxide detectors)
- Establishing an effective compliance-monitoring and enforcement system.
The County STR regulations do not apply to properties located inside the boundaries of incorporated towns. At this time, there are no limitations on the number of STR units permitted within the unincorporated areas of Summit County.
Questions? Contact us at STR@SummitCountyCO.gov
County STR Regulations – Adopted December 18, 2018
View the County STR regulations, which were adopted by the Board of County Commissioners on December 18, 2018. All STRs in unincorporated Summit County are required to operate in accordance with these regulations, with the exception that operating without a permit shall not be considered a violation until June 30, 2019. Grandfathering provisions for the occupancy of existing bookings made prior to the date of submitting an STR permit application shall apply, as outlined in the regulations.
The anticipated timeline for implementing the County STR permitting process is as follows. For project status updates, visit the STR Blog.
- Late February 2019 – The STR permitting system will go live and the County will begin accepting and processing STR permit applications.
- June 1, 2019 – This is the required deadline for an STR permit application to be submitted to the County for any STR unit operating in the unincorporated areas of Summit County.
- June 30, 2019 – As of this date, if an STR is found to be operating without the required County STR permit, it shall be considered a violation of the Summit County Land Use and Development Code. This will allow all STR unit owners to get through the 2018-2019 ski season before enforcement of the new County STR regulations begins.