Short-Term Rental Permit Application
Summit County regulates short-term vacation rentals to address neighborhood impacts and life safety issues. Summit County's regulations for short term vacation rentals (pdf) are applicable to properties within the unincorporated areas of Summit County.
If you own property within unincorporated Summit County (outside the boundary of an incorporated town) and are interested in renting it for periods of less than 30 consecutive days, you are required to obtain a short-term vacation rental (STR) permit.
Summit County's STR regulations were adopted in December 2018. The online permit system became operational in March 2019. All STR permits issued in 2020 will be valid through September 30, 2021, with annual renewal required by September 30 of each year.
Apply for a Short-Term Rental Permit
To apply, update, or renew a Summit County Short-Term Rental Permit, make sure you’re using Chrome or FireFox and go straight to the Summit County Short-Term Rental Registration Portal.
Verify Your Property Location and Jurisdiction
The County STR regulations do not apply to properties located inside the boundaries of incorporated towns.
Before beginning the online Summit County STR permit application, check the Property Search and Mapping Tool to verify whether your STR is located within town limits or within unincorporated Summit County. It is important to verify the jurisdiction in which your property is located, as each jurisdiction has its own STR regulations and applicable taxes.
If your property is located within town limits, you do not need an STR permit from Summit County. You do need to apply for an STR license from the applicable town. If your property is located within unincorporated Summit County (outside town limits), complete the Summit County STR application. Please note that the following neighborhoods are located in unincorporated Summit County, not an incorporated town (this list is not comprehensive):
- Buffalo Mountain
- Copper Mountain
- Dillon Valley
- Keystone @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Mesa Cortina
- Peak 7
- Silver Shekel
- Summit Cove
- Wildernest @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
STR Permit Application Types
Summit County has multiple STR permit types, depending on your unit type(s) and needs.
- Short-Term Vacation Rental Permit: This is the standard application, which should be used if you are applying for five (5) or fewer STR permits.
- Master Bulk STR Permit Application: This is a bulk permitting option that is available for applications of six (6) or more STR permits submitted by the same managing entity for units within a building or complex that utilize common parking, trash, utilities and contact information. All units included in a bulk permit application must have the same Responsible Agent assigned for all units. The Master Bulk Permit Application should be used for the first unit included in the bulk application. The Bulk STR Permit Application for Additional Units should then be used for all subsequent units included in the bulk application.
- Bulk STR Permit Application for Additional Units: Applicable to 6 or more simultaneous STR permit applications, for units in the same complex, with the same Responsible Agent assigned to all units. Use the Master Bulk STR Permit Application for the first unit in the bulk application, and the Bulk STR Permit Application for Additional Units for all subsequent units.
- Short-Term Vacation Rental Conditional Use Permit (CUP): Applicable to any STR proposing a maximum occupancy of 20 or more people, or proposing to deviate from the occupancy, parking or other site standards in the Summit County STR Regulations. Learn more about STR CUPs.
- Short-Term Vacation Rental Permit Responsible Agent Change Request: Applicable to applicants who have already submitted a permit application and need to change the designated Responsible Agent.
- New STR permit application fee: $150
- Administrative CUP application fee: $350 (Note: The $350 Administrative CUP fee is the full fee charged for an administrative CUP; these applications are not charged both the STR permit fee and the administrative CUP fee.)
- Annual renewal fee (for either STR Permit or CUP): $75
- Expired permit renewed within 60 days of expiration: $82.50 (includes 10% penalty fee)
- Responsible Agent Change Request Form: $50
All STR permit application fees are analyzed annually during review and adoption of the Summit County Planning Department Development Review Fee Schedule in March of each year, and will be adjusted annually as needed based on the volume of STR permits and associated administrative costs.
After Applying For Your STR Permit
Once we review your application, we’ll send an email to let you know whether it is approved. Please be aware that the review process does take time. We appreciate your patience. The approval email will contain your permit number. We will not conduct fire and safety inspections during the permit application process. After permits are issued, we will audit a random selection of properties that will be inspected.
- Document posting: Print and post the following documents in a prominent location within your STR property:
- A sign that includes your Summit County STR Permit Number, street address and responsible agent contact information. Download a template that you can use to create your sign (pdf).
- Good Neighbor Guidelines (pdf): Fill in your unit’s occupancy limit in the "Maximum Capacity" section at the bottom of page 1.
- County-approved parking plan
- County-approved trash disposal and collection plan.
- Advertising requirements: STR owners must include the permit number, maximum occupancy and maximum parking on all advertising (print, online, etc.). The permit number must be located after the property description.
- Permit Transferability: A short-term rental permit is uniquely tied to an individual property and the owner. Therefore, upon sale of a property, the new owner must complete their own application for a short-term rental permit.