I only plan to rent my unit once a year, do I need a short term rental license?

Yes, if you rent out your home for periods of less than 30 consecutive days, you must obtain a short term rental (STR) license .

Do I need a license before advertising my short term rental?

Yes, all STR properties must receive a permit before advertising or operation.

How do I find out if my property is located in unincorporated Summit County?

Search for your address on the Summit County GIS Parcel Query Tool . You can locate the jurisdiction of your property on the bottom left of the page.

I am switching property management companies.  How do I update that information in my STR license?

The responsible agent/property manager on the active license will need to access the license via the Host Compliance portal and update the information.  

I recently purchased a home that has an active STR license.  How do I get the license switched over to my name?

All STR licenses are non-transferrable.  The current license will be closed when the purchase of the home is finaled and a new license application will need to be submitted by the new owner.

I have an active STR license or have submitted a new application prior to the start of the moratorium.  Will the new STR regulations being proposed affect my license?

All STR licenses that were approved or submitted for review before the moratorium began on 9/18/2021 will not need to come into compliance with the new regulations until September 2026 or if the property sells/transfers ownership, lapses or is revoked.

I've heard that the town of Breckenridge/Dillon/etc. is also in a moratorium and changing their regulations.  What does that mean for my STR property?

Each incorporated town in Summit County has their own process and regulations for short term rentals.  Our jurisdiction is strictly in unincorporated Summit County and therefore does not work with the towns regarding short term rentals not in our jurisdiction.

Is there a cap on the number of licenses being issued in unincorporated Summit County?

There is no cap or wait list for STR license applications at this time.  Please visit our website regularly to stay up to date on any changes in policies or regulations.

How do I know if my property is in a Resort Zone or a Neighborhood Zone?

The Resort Zone includes Copper Mountain, Keystone, Tiger Run Resort, and sections of Peak 7 and Peak 8 in Breckenridge.  You can check the maps provided on our home page to see if your property is located in one of these areas.

I am currently in the process of purchasing a property in unincorporated Summit County.  Can I apply for an STR license before closing?

Yes, please email STR@summitcountyco.gov with a letter from the current owner(s) granting the buyer permission to apply for the STR license and then proceed with the application process as usual.