Civil Unions & Common Law Marriage

Civil Unions

  • Simply visit our office during business hours to apply for a Civil Union License, non-Summit residents must make an appointment first.  The Application process and cost is the same as a traditional Marriage License.

Common Law Marriage

  • The Clerk & Recorder does not facilitate Common Law Marriage, other than recording a fully executed Common Law Marriage Affidavit of a couple's choosing.  The couple must obtain the document, execute it, sign in the presence of a Notary Public, and may bring in the Affidavit to record during business hours.  There is no application process.  For more information regarding Common Law Marriage, it is recommended to consult Colorado Revised Statute or a trusted attorney.