Child Support Services
Applications and Fees
There is no charge to open a CSS case and applicants can apply online, in person, or by email. 970-668-9702 or CSS.Inbox@summitcountyco.gov.
- A $35.00 Arrears Processing Fee will be every federal fiscal year once $500.00 has been paid to the custodial parent. This fee only applies to cases that are not currently receiving public assistance.
- A $25.00 Intercept Processing Fee will be deducted from intercepted payments.
Financial Support and Paternity Order Establishment – CSS can establish financial support paternity orders both administratively and judicially. Fatherhood must be legally recognized in order to obtain a child support order. The two ways to establish paternity are:
- Establishing paternity through voluntary acknowledgment
- Establishing paternity through legal action with genetic testing
–CSS can establish medical support orders. If the non-custodial parents’ employer is unknown, enforcement of the medical support is delayed until a current employer is found. This does not pertain to medical bills, only medical premiums computed into the child support order.
Locate Absent Parents – CSS locates absent parents using a number of state and federal databases.
- Department of Labor and Employment
- Division of Motor Vehicles
- US Postal Service
- Financial References
- Parole, Probation and Police Records
- Public Assistance Offices
- National Directory of New Hire
- Social Security Administration
- Internal Revenue Service
Enforcement – CSS will enforce current court-ordered child support orders until all obligations are satisfied. Enforcement remedies utilized by CSS are:
- Wage Withholding Orders for Employment wages, Unemployment and Worker’s Compensation Benefits
- License Suspension- Drivers, Professional and Recreational
- Passport Denial
- Federal and State Tax Offset
- Lottery Winnings Intercept/Gambling Payment Intercept
- Credit Bureau Reporting
- Liens including Real Property and Personal and Life Insurance
Review and Adjustments (RAs) - Parties may request a review and adjustment of a current Colorado child support order through Child Support Services. A State generated Review and Adjustment request form is required and must be completed and submitted by requesting party to the CSS office with the attached Income affidavit and supporting income documentation. To download the request form, please visit the CO State’s website at www.childsupport.state.co.us or contact the CSS office directly.
Current child support is still due during a pending modification and will continue to be due and enforced until there is a signed order from the court reflecting a change.