Animal Shelter Volunteer Program
To perform community service hours, defined as court ordered hours, please call our our front desk at 970-668-3230. Our volunteer program is not for this purpose.
We have two types of Volunteers:
To become a Regular shelter volunteer:
- Be at least 14 years of age.
- If you under 14 years old, a parent or guardian must attend training and accompany the child when volunteering.
- Complete a Volunteer Application (pdf). If under 14 the parent fills out the application for themselves noting the child's name in the appropriate section. If under 18 years old parent must sign the application as well.
- Complete a Volunteer Waiver form (pdf) Parent must sign if under 18 years of age.
- Attend an orientation / training session. This will cover basic information about the shelter, dog and cat interaction and safety. Class lasts for approximately 2 hours. You can click here to register for class.
- Bring the completed app / waiver to class. If you can't print the forms at home you can fill them out at the shelter before class. Please arrive 20 minutes early to complete, otherwise arrive 10 minutes early in order to check in prior to class.
CLASS IS HELD IN OUR RAINBOW ROOM WHICH WE ALLOW CATS TO ROAM FREELY IN, EVEN DURING OUR TRAINING SESSION.
The following are the dates for the upcoming Volunteer Orientation Classes. Due to Covid 19 restrictions, classes are limited to 5 participants 14 years and over. If you have children under 14 that want to be volunteers, parents will be responsible for training them prior to their first visit.
All classes start at 10:00 am and will last approximately until 12:00 pm.
August 5th, 8th, 10th, 15th
October 3rd, 14th
Please bring a photo ID if you are 18 or older.
*If you have signed up and are unable to attend, please notify us immediately as spots are limited. Use the online system to cancel or change classes. You may also email email@example.com or call 970-668-4197 and leave a message.
*Please wear appropriate clothing for being at the shelter and for walking dogs outside.
- Upon completion of training, you are welcome to begin coming to the shelter and volunteering your time.
Teen Community Service
This program is directed towards teens who do not want to be regular long term volunteers, but rather need hours to meet service requirements for programs they are participating in. We offer two hour shifts that can be signed up for at the shelter. These shifts mainly focus on cleaning. There will be no direct contact with animals (i.e. dog walking, cat socialization).
Please review the rules on the form below and sign the waiver that follows. The form must be signed by both the participant and parent / guardian. You need to provide the signed form prior to or on your first shift. You will NOT be allowed to volunteer without a signed form. Should violations of the rules occur or if you sign up and then do not show up, you will not be eligible for the program.
Teen Community Service
Direct questions to the volunteer coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-668-4197.
THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST IN HELPING OUR ANIMALS!