Animal Shelter Volunteer Program
To perform community service hours, defined as court ordered hours, please call our our front desk at 970-668-3230. Our volunteer program is not for this purpose.
We have two types of Volunteers:
To become a regular shelter volunteer:
- Attend a one-time Volunteer Orientation. This will cover information about the shelter, animal behavior basics, and how to interact with our animals safely.
- Be at least 14 years of age.
- While children can volunteer with a trained adult, only those 14 and older attend orientation.
- Complete a volunteer application and waiver. Only those 14 and older fill out an application noting any child(ren) in the appropriate section.
- Bring the completed app and waiver to class. If you have to, you can fill them out at the shelter before class. Please arrive 15 minutes early to complete them before the start of class so we can stay on time.
- A parent must sign the application and waiver if under 18 years of age.
- Please wear appropriate clothing for being at the shelter and for walking dogs outside.
- Click here to see dates and register for a class.
CLASS IS HELD IN OUR RAINBOW ROOM WHICH WE ALLOW CATS TO ROAM FREELY IN, EVEN DURING OUR TRAINING SESSION.
Due to Covid-19 restrictions, classes are limited to 5 participants 14 years and over and masks are required. If you have children under 14 that want to be volunteers, parents will be responsible for training them prior to their first visit.
Please bring a photo ID if you are 18 or older. We do background checks.
*If you have signed up and are unable to attend, please use the online system to cancel or change classes as soon as possible to allow others to sign up instead.
If you have questions please contact the Volunteer Coordinator by email at Lisa.Spaulding@summitcountyco.gov or by phone at 970-668-4193.
**Upon completion of training, you are welcome to begin volunteering as often as your schedule allows.
Teen Community Service
This program is directed towards teens who do not want to be regular long term volunteers, but rather need hours to meet service requirements for programs they are participating in. We offer two hour shifts that can be signed up for at the shelter. These shifts mainly focus on cleaning. There will be no direct contact with animals (i.e. dog walking, cat socialization).
Please review the rules on the form below and sign the waiver that follows. The form must be signed by both the participant and parent / guardian. You need to provide the signed form prior to or on your first shift. You will NOT be allowed to volunteer without a signed form. Should violations of the rules occur or if you sign up and then do not show up, you will not be eligible for the program.
Teen Community Service
SUNDAY SNUGGLE STORY TIME
Hey Kids! Come read to our shelter animals! We have different stations set up throughout the shelter (indoor and outdoor) and you will rotate through reading to different animals. Anyone under 14 must be accompanied by an adult but you do NOT need to be volunteer to participate! Space is limited- Follow the link to sign up and email and questions to Lisa.Spaulding@summitcounytco.gov
KIDS READ Sunday Snuggle Story Time Signup Page:
Shelter Volunteers- we need your help! Interested in helping oversee the Sunday Snuggle Story Time? Follow the link to sign up for a shift!
VOLUNTEER HELP Sunday Snuggle Signup Page: