Food Assistance Programs

The Food Assistance Program provides monthly benefits to low-income households in Summit County to assist with the cost of food. These benefits are deposited monthly onto an EBT card.  How To Use Your EBT Card Brochure   Folleto de cómo usar su tarjeta EBT de Colorado 

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

Food Assistance Eligibility

You may be eligible for food assistance if you:
  • Are unemployed, work part time or work for low wages 
  • Receive other public assistance payments
  • Are elderly or disabled and live on a fixed, limited income
  • Are homeless.

Only households who are or have children that are U.S. citizens and/or legal permanent residents are eligible for Food Assistance.

Applying For Food Assistance

English and Spanish applications are available at Summit County Human Services. We are located in the Summit County Medical Office Building, 360 Peak One Drive, Suite 230, Frisco, Colorado.  Call 970-668-9160 or email questions.

You can apply online through the State of Colorado's Program Eligibility and Application Kit (PEAK). Or bring a completed application to your scheduled or walk-in appointment in our office.  Food Assistance Application      Food Assistance Application Spanish
Documents to bring to our office that may expedite processing of your application include:
  • Proof of identity (driver’s license, ID card, resident card, U.S. passport)
  • Proof of citizenship (U.S. passport, birth certificate or Permanent Resident Card)
  • Social Security numbers for all household members
  • Proof of income (pay stubs, letter from employer)
  • Proof of any non-work income (unemployment, child support payments, etc.)

Benefits Timeline

Food assistance applications will be processed within 30 days from the date our office receives your application. Households that meet expedited criteria may receive food assistance benefits within seven days from the date of their application.

Employment First Program

The Colorado Employment First program helps prepare Food Assistance recipients for employment through job-seeking skills training, work experience and monthly job-search support activities. Most Food Assistance recipients between the ages of 18 and 59 are required to participate in the program.  For more information about the program, please contact Employment First Coordinator, Mellanee Montgomery at 970-668-9738 or email

Using EBT Cards in Other States

You can use your EBT card in any grocery store or retail location anywhere in the United States that has been authorized by the USDA Food & Nutrition Service and displays the Quest logo.

Only Wyoming uses a different EBT card, called Smartcards. If you need to use your EBT card in Wyoming, do so at the larger chain stores that have their own equipment to process both types of EBT cards.

Checking the Balance of an EBT Card

The easiest way to know your account balance is to keep your receipts. If you don't have your receipts, you may check your balance online at ebtEDGE.

You can also call Customer Service at 1-888-328-2656 or 1-800-659-2656 (TTY). You are only allowed 10 balance inquiry phone calls per calendar month. You may also insert your EBT card into an ATM machine to check your balance.

What you Can and Cannot Purchase with SNAP


thly Carryover of Benefits

Any benefits left at the end of the month in your Food Assistance EBT account will be carried over into the next month. Any benefits not used will be removed from the card 365 days from the last time the card was used or 365 days from the last time benefits were posted, whichever is later.

Lost or Stolen EBT Cards

If your EBT card is lost or stolen, call Customer Service toll free at 1-888-328-2656 or 1-800-659-2656 (TTY) to report it missing. Then come into Summit County Division of Health and Human Services to obtain a replacement card.  After four card replacements in twelve months, the county cannot issue another card.  You must call customer service for a replacement and it will be mailed to you within 7-10 business days.

Reporting Food Assistance Fraud

To report fraud, please contact us at 970-668-9717.