Colorado State University Extension
Colorado State University Extension provides research-based information and public education on a variety of topics such as forest health, wildfire mitigation, youth development, home gardening and natural resources.
Local Summit County Programs
Summit County CSU Extension offers numerous programs, educational workshops, 4-H youth activities, and community services. These programs include:
- 4-H Youth Development: Young people in Summit County can learn leadership, citizenship and life skills through youth development activities such as fly fishing, mountain biking, archery, rocketry, robotics and other science-based programs.
- Chipping Program: Reduce wildfire risk by clearing woody vegetation from around your home. We’ll chip it and haul it away for free.
- Forest Health and Wildfire Mitigation: CSU Extension supports forest health and wildfire education in Summit County. Extension also administers the Summit County Wildfire Council, a communitywide coalition working to reduce the threat of wildfire.
- Seedling Trees, Grass & Wildflower Seeds: Summit County Extension partners with Middle Park Conservation District to provide seedling trees to landowners for the purposes of conservation, reforestation, windbreaks and wildlife habitat. Landowners can also purchase grass and wildflower seed provided by Middle Park Conservation District at the Summit County Extension office.
CSU Extension Statewide ResourcesCSU Extension provides various resources directly to Colorado residents.
- Water and Soil Testing: Water and soil testing are available through the Soil, Water, and Plant Testing Laboratory at Colorado State University. The lab analyzes soil, water, plant and other types of samples and provides recommendations to improve soil for agricultural or horticultural applications.
- Plant Diagnostics and Plant/Insect Identification: The Diagnostic Clinic encompasses plant, plant disease and insect identification and provides recommendations for the client. The lab serves as your CSU Extension Diagnostic resource for commercial growers, crop consultants, golf course maintenance and homeowner samples.
- Family Matters Newsletters
- Small Acreage Management Newsletters
- Colorado Vegetable Guide - Spanish (pdf)
- Colorado Vegetable Guide - English (pdf)