Summit Cove Loop Project Updates

Updates on construction, road closures, project milestones, neighborhood meetings and opportunities for public input on the Summit Cove Loop Project.

Jul 11

[ARCHIVED] Peak 2 Fire - Update 7/11/17 at 10 a.m.

The original item was published from July 11, 2017 2:27 PM to July 24, 2017 1:47 PM

Peak 2 Fire Update

Rocky Mountain Incident Management Team - Todd Pechota, Incident Commander
Information Center: (970) 668-9730
Hours of operation: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
July 11, 2017
10 a.m.

This will be the last update from the Rocky Mountain Type 1 Team as we transition the incident back to the White River National Forest. We appreciate the support and hospitality from the Frisco and Breckenridge communities.

Current Situation: Crews are continuing to tie together existing mitigation work to create a contingency line that could also be quickly utilized as a fire line for any future fire activity. Crews completed 2 miles of contingency line yesterday and plan to wrap-up efforts today. 

There will be a final public meeting from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday in Breckenridge at the Colorado Mountain College Auditorium, 107 Denison Placer Road. The meeting will begin with an open house from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., followed by presentations from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., ending with additional open house.  

The fire will remain at 85% contained. The remaining 15% of the perimeter is on the west side, backing against a steep, rugged area of spruce fir. Firefighters will continue to monitor the fire. 
Firefighter safety is our top priority, and the risk of injury to firefighters is very high in this remaining area. It is steep and rugged, with significant dead and down spruce-fir. Although there could be some fire activity in this area if conditions are right, the likelihood of the fire threatening communities is low.

Closures: Peaks Trail, Gold Hill, Wheeler and Miners Creek trails will remain closed. Parts of the Colorado Trail are closed where overlap occurs with trail closures in the area. Miners Creek Road is closed. 

Public Safety: Stage 1 fire restrictions are in effect for the entire White River National Forest as well as Bureau of Land Management-administered lands and unincorporated private lands in Eagle, Garfield, Mesa, Rio Blanco, Pitkin, and Summit counties. For more information on these restrictions, please visit

Fire Statistics:
Location:  2 miles south of Frisco, CO
Start Date: July 5, 2017
Size: 84 acres Percent Contained: 85%
Total Personnel: 150 Cause:  Under investigation
Resources Include: 3 hand crews and 6 engines
Places to get information:  
Twitter: Follow at @peak2fire
Facebook: Peak 2 Fire @peak2fire