Animal Control
Do pets have to be leashed in Summit County?
The leash law in most of unincorporated Summit County is immediate control. This means that all pet animals are required to be under control and within 10 feet of a person competent to control and restrain the pet. Certain areas of the county require physical control of a pet animal which means the pet must be on a leash. Currently these areas include Arapahoe Basin Ski Area, Copper Mountain, Willow Creek Open Space, and the paved portions of the Summit County Recreational Pathway.
How do I report an Animal Control problem?
If you are having an Animal Control problem, contact Summit County Communications at 970-668-8600 and they will have an Animal Control Officer contact you. Our officers are on duty 7 days per week from 7:30 AM-5:30 PM. There is an officer available each night after business hours for emergency calls only. Routine calls will be handled during normal business hours.
What can I do about my neighbor's barking dog?
Animal Control strongly encourages you to take a pro-active role in trying to resolve a nuisance dog problem. You can do so by following these steps:

Step 1:
Summit County Animal Control suggests that you contact the owner regarding the barking dog in an effort to resolve the problem at a neighborhood level first. This can be done in person or by sending a signed letter describing the specific problem. It is recognized that contacting your neighbor first is not always possible or desirable for you. If you are uncomfortable making the initial contact an Animal Control Officer (ACO) can intervene.

Step 2:
If the problem persists after the initial contact or if you aren’t comfortable contacting the owner, a warning can be issued. To issue a warning, the following information is needed from you.
A. Complete Address of the dog owner. If this is unknown, an ACO can try to assist you in gaining this information.
B. Description of dog(s) and circumstances. i.e. color, breed, size, etc. Can you see the dog(s)?
C. Specific date and time frames and/or intervals the dog(s) were barking. Example: “The dog barked from 8:00am to 10:00am” Note: “The dog barks all the time” is too vague of a statement and does not meet the elements of describing the nuisance.
D. A signed complaint. An ACO will produce a typed complaint including the above information and provide it to you to sign.
Step 3:
If the barking complaint is not resolved within 72 hours of the issuance of the first warning, then you will be instructed to sign a second complaint. A second warning will then be issued.
Step 4:
If the problem persists after another 72 hours, then you will be encouraged to sign another complaint for a citation to be issued. By doing so, you must be willing to testify in court, should that become necessary.

Who do I contact for wildlife issues in Summit County, Colorado?
Wildlife calls are handled by Colorado Parks and Wildlife. A District Wildlife Manager for Summit County can be reached by contacting their Dispatch at (970)824-6501.
What constitutes a barking dog?
A dog that disturbs the peace of any other person by habitual or persistent barking, howling, yelping, or whining or any other unprovoked noise.
Assessor - Filing an Appeal for Real Property
How do I appeal my value?
  • Appeals must be filed in writing and can be delivered to the Assessor, by mail, email, online, or in person with an appointment. Filing instructions are provided on the Appeals page and in the following "How do I file an appeal by..." questions below. Please file your appeal using only one method; multiple submissions for the same schedule will be rejected.
  • The appeal period is May 1 to June 10 in 2024. To preserve your right to object, your appeal must be postmarked, emailed, filed online or delivered in person on or before June 10. Appeals filed late are not accepted. A Notice of Determination will be sent by the Assessor’s Office to appealing property owners on June 28.
How do I file an appeal with a phone call?
The Assessor’s Office is not able to process your appeal by phone, however we are available to answer questions regarding your property/appeal by phone during normal business hours 8AM to 5PM Monday to Friday at (970) 453-3480.
How do I file an appeal by email?
To file an appeal by email, send an email to [email protected] that includes the property schedule number, property owner’s name and phone number, property owner’s estimate of value, an explanation of why the Assessor’s value is being appealed and attach any documentation supporting the appeal to the email. In the subject line of your email, please write “Protest” and your property’s schedule number. Please note that emailed protests must be received by midnight on June 10.
How do I file an appeal by mail?
To file an appeal by mail, send your written documentation that includes the property schedule number, property owner’s name and phone number, property owner’s estimate of value, an explanation of why the Assessor’s value is being appealed and any documentation supporting the appeal to the email through USPS to Summit County Assessor, PO Box 276, Breckenridge, CO 80424. Please note that mailed protests must be postmarked on or before June 10.
How do I file an appeal in person?
  • To file an appeal in person, you must visit the Assessor's Office on or before June 10 at 208 E. Lincoln Avenue in Breckenridge, CO.
  • The protest form is not required by encouraged; you may also bring or submit any written documentation you choose.
How do I file an appeal online?
To file an appeal online go to https://apps.summitcountyco.gov/AssessorProtest/ProtestInstructions.aspx. You will need to have your schedule number and the security key located on your 2024 Notice of Valuation. The Security Key must be entered exactly as it appears on the NOV as it is case sensitive. The online option allows you to provide comments and your estimate of value. The online appeal option does not allow you to provide supplemental documentation, so if you desire to provide any documentation with your appeal, which our office recommends, please instead appeal by email, mail or in-person.
What is the appeal filing deadline?
  • In 2024, the appeal period is May 1 to June 10. To preserve your right to object, your appeal must be postmarked, emailed, or delivered in-person on or before June 10. Appeals filed late are not accepted.  
What information should I include with my appeal?
  • Please include the following information: 
    • Property schedule number
    • Property owner’s name
    • Property owner’s estimate of value for the subject property
    • An explanation of the reason for the protest
  • Additionally, the Assessor’s Office requests the property owner’s email address and phone number so that we may contact the property owner with any questions about the protest. The Assessor’s Office encourages property owner’s to be as detailed as possible in explaining their reason for protesting and include any supporting documentation they would like the Assessor to consider.
Can another person file an appeal for me (Authorized Agents)?
Only owners of record of the subject property, attorneys for such owners and authorized agents of such owners may file appeals. To designate an authorized agent, the owner of record must submit a document in writing to the Assessor’s Office including the agent’s name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address and the owner of record’s signature. A form for providing this written agent authorization is included on your Notice of Valuation. Agents may not use the online appeal option.
When does the Assessor send a response to my appeal?
A Notice of Determination will be sent by the Assessor’s Office to appealing taxpayers on June 28. The Assessor’s Office may reach out to taxpayers before June 28 if there are questions about the appeal.
How does the Assessor's Office review and make a decision about my valuation appeal?
The Summit County Assessor’s Office will review the information and data in our records for your property and confirm that it is correct. If we are uncertain about any information or find any discrepancies, we use a variety of means to research and confirm information, which may include contacting the property owner or scheduling a physical inspection of the property. If we discover information about the property that supports a different value, either lower or higher, we will adjust the value and indicate that adjustment on the Notice of Determination. If no new information about the property is discovered, or considered relevant to the value, the Summit County Assessor’s Office cannot arbitrarily reduce the value of the property.
Why does the Assessor ask for my contact information?
This is so the Assessor’s Office may reach out to you if we have questions about your appeal. Please provide an email address and a phone number so that we may contact you.
Assessor - NOVs
Does my Notice of Value include the Senior or Veteran's deduction?
No, but your tax bill does.  Your 2024 Property Tax Notice, due and payable in 2025, will include the following message in the upper right section of the form:  “The value and tax stated on this notice reflect reduced amounts due to the application of the Senior or Veteran Property Tax Exemption Program”.  More information about the Senior and Veteran’s property tax exemption programs may be found here.
What is my "Schedule" or "Account" number?
Each Summit County property is assigned an individual identification number, sometimes called a “schedule” or “account” number – both terms refer to the same number. This number is located on your NOV and your tax bill.
How is property valued for taxation purposes?
  • For residential properties, Colorado law requires that the “market” approach to valuation is used. The market approach uses data from qualified actual sales of properties to value all properties in the county as of a certain date, which for 2023 and 2024 was June 30, 2022. Assessors are allowed to use sales from a period of up to 5 years preceding that date. For 2023 and 2024, Summit County used 5 years of sales from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2022 – called the data collection period. Since there is a wide diversity of properties in Summit County, using more sales allowed the office to have a statistically significant amount of data for many of the property attributes.
  • Using a statistical technique called multiple regression analysis (MRA), the qualified sales from the data collection period are used to build models that predict what a property would sell for as of the Appraisal date of June 30, 2022. The MRA technique examines the relationship between the sale price of properties to their characteristics, like square footage, location, or quality grade. This statistical analysis of the relationship between sale price and characteristics determines which characteristics are contributing to the value of a property and what that value is; those value adjustments, or rates, are then applied to unsold properties to determine a property’s 2023 and 2024 value.  
  • For all other property types, Colorado law requires Assessors to consider the cost, market and income approaches to value using appraisal data from the 18-month period ending June 30, 2022.  If insufficient data existed during the 18 month data gathering period, data from each preceding six-month period (up to a period of 5 years preceding June 30, 2022) may be utilized. 
How do I know if my property has been correctly valued?
  • To view how your value was calculated, visit the Notice of Valuation Archive Viewer and click on “Calculation Ladder – Adjustment Values”. This document shows how different key attributes, property characteristics, and their respective adjustments impact the value of a property. Review the information in the “Property Characteristics” column of the Calculation Ladder to see if it accurately reflects your property.  
  • You can also review the Detailed Data information for your property located on the Property Information Search & Maps page of the Assessor’s website for your schedule or on your Notice of Valuation to see if we have the correct information and characteristics listed for your property. Go to the Summit County GIS Parcel Query Tool and enter your schedule number where indicated under “Search Options” to find your property and then click on the “Get Detailed Data” tab located directly below the map.
  • Review the Current Market Sales Data Lists spreadsheets on the Assessor’s website to identify sales of similar properties that you think are comparable to yours and compare them to the sales listed on your Notice of Valuation to see if your value is fair and equitable.
I haven't made changes to my property, but my value has gone up. Why?
Your value changed from 2021/2022 to 2023/2024 due to the State mandated reappraisal of all property to a more current level of market value. All property in Colorado is reappraised every 2 years on the odd numbered year to reflect a market value based on the appraisal date of June 30th of the preceding year. For 2023 and 2024, all property was revalued to a June 30, 2022 date of appraisal, as compared to the prior 2021/2022 reappraisal that had an appraisal date of June 30, 2020.
Why is my value higher than my neighbor's if our properties are the same?
Even though your neighbor’s home may seem the same, there may be differences of which you are unaware. Many different elements are considered when valuing properties, for example, number of bedrooms and baths, view, condition of home, interior or exterior remodels, garage, land, etc. If you would like our office to address concerns about how your property was valued, you may file an appeal. See “How do I appeal my value?”.
My single family home shows the value split into a land value and an imp value. How is the value of the land determined?
The Summit County Assessor’s Office first develops an opinion of value for the property as a whole, and then uses the allocation method to assign a portion of total property value to the land, based on the relationship between the land and the improvement. To determine the portion to be allocated, we analyze the land to building ratio for the subdivision or neighborhood, as well as the median base value and median land size.
Where can I find sales used from the data collection period?
All property sales used for 2023 and 2024 Valuations are identified in the spreadsheets found on Assessor’s website.
A similar property in my neighborhood just sold for lower than the value of my property. Why isn't that sale considered to adjust my value lower?
By state law, for the 2023/2024 valuation cycle, the Assessor’s Office cannot consider any sales that occurred after June 30, 2022. The sale of your neighbor’s property, if it is qualified, will be part of the data collection period for the 2025/2026 valuation cycle.
How can I view the adjustments to the sales used to value my property?
  • The Summit County Assessor’s Office uses a statistical technique called multiple regression analysis (MRA), which analyses all the qualified sales from the data collection period are to build models that predict what a property would sell for as of the Appraisal date of June 30, 2022, based on its characteristics. We did not use the “Sales Comparison” approach where adjustments are made to specific comparable sales.
  • You can view a selection of representative Comparable Sales for your property by visiting the Notice of Valuation Archive Viewer and searching your property using your schedule number. The Notice of Valuation Archive Viewer will show a selection of comparable sales, and you can also click on “Appraiser Report – Comparable Sales” to see adjustments applied to the sales. The comparable sales are provided to demonstrate how the value of your property falls within the range of sales prices of properties with similar characteristics from the data collection period. This document illustrates the adjustments made, but is not the basis for the valuation. Since your property’s actual value calculation was using MRA, only changing the property characteristics of your property that were adjusted for in the model will affect the value, not selecting a different comparable sale.
What is "time trending" and how does it affect my property's value?
Time trending refers to an adjustment made based on changes in market conditions over time, or between the time of the sale and the appraisal date. This adjustment is applied to all sales for the purpose of calculating their values effective on the last day of the then current data collection period, which for 2023 was June 30, 2022 and is required by state statute. See further explanation here.
What is the Calculation Ladder?
  • The Calculation Ladder is also known as the “Calc Ladder” or the “Adjustment Value Grid”  is a table that breaks down how different key attributes and their adjustments impact the value of a property. The calc ladder has 4 columns with the following headings: 
    • Property Characteristics: A description of the property attribute (i.e., Property Size, Acreage, Year built, Basement, Number of Bedrooms, etc.
    • Adjustment: The rate, or factor, that will be applied to the characteristic
    • Base Rate: A number, which is the starting value, in terms of the property characteristic’s units (per Sqft in this case), that will be multiplied by the adjustment factor
    • Value: Shows the value as calculated by multiplying the previous value by the adjustment for the property characteristic
Why doesn't my Notice of Value have comparable sales listed?
  • Comparable sales are provided in the NOV Viewer for most residential properties that are at least 75% complete. 
  • Comparable sales are not provided, either on the mailing or the Notice of Valuation Archive Search, for: residential properties less than 75% complete, all non-residential properties (commercial, agricultural, etc.), properties with multiple improvements, and mixed-use properties.
Why did I receive a Notice of Valuation?
  • Colorado County Assessors are required to provide property owners in their county a notice of valuation for each taxable property annually. Every property is revalued in odd numbered years and received a Notice of Value with a new value that reflects the new level of value for that reappraisal year. In even numbered years, all properties receive a Notice of Valuation, but only properties that experienced a significant change or correction to the property record receive a new value, eg. new construction, remodels and destroyed properties. NOVs are sent out on May 1 except when the deadline falls on the weekend. In those cases the deadline is postponed until the following business day.
Is a Notice of Valuation a bill?
No, tax bills are sent out by the County Treasurer’s Office in January of each year. An NOV is a notice of the value amount of a property determined by the Assessor’s Office, which value amount (the “Taxable Actual Value”) is a factor used to calculate property taxes payable.
How are my property taxes calculated?
Your annual property taxes are determined by the following formula: Taxable Actual Value * Assessment Rate * Total of applicable Mill Levies = Tax Amount. The Assessor is only responsible for the valuation of your property, the Taxable Actual Value. If you disagree with the value of your property in the NOV, you may file an appeal. See “How do I appeal my value?” If you disagree with the value of your property in your tax bill, you will need to file a Petition for Abatement.  You can find more information on our Abatements page.
How does a value change affect my property taxes?
Your annual property taxes are determined by the following formula: Taxable Actual Value * Assessment Rate * Mill Levy = Tax amount.  The Assessment Rate for residential property in Colorado for 2024 is still to be determined. The Assessment rate for most other taxable property types is 29%. The Mill Levy, which is a rate, is a total of the mill levies set by taxing entities with jurisdiction over the property. The individual mill levy set by each taxing entity is listed on your tax bill and you may contact that taxing entity for more information about how the mill is set and/or how it is being used.
Building Inspection - Submittals
Do I need an architect to design my project?
Architects are required for commercial projects. They are not required for residential projects. If submitted plans are not complete an architect might be required after the original review.
Do I need an Engineer to design my project?
Any projects with structural components need to be stamped by a Colorado licensed engineer. Decks on detached single family residences are exempt, as long as they are designed to the appropriate loading conditions, however they do require a permit.
How much will the permit cost?
It depends on the square footage and valuation of the project, see our fee schedule or give us a call.
When do I pay for the permit?
The plan review fee is required at the permit submittal, the remainder of the fees are required at the permit issuance.
Do I need a soils report for my project?
It depends on the location of the project and the soils bearing pressure assumed by the Design Engineer. Check our Matrix
Can I do an open hole soils report after excavation in lieu of a soils report prior to the permit issuance?
Building Inspection - Additional Building Department Information
When do I need a plan review for a technical permit?
Mechanical, plumbing, electrical plan reviews are required for all commercial jobs.  Photo Voltaic system plan reviews are required for all residential and commercial jobs. Contact the Building Inspection Department at  (970) 668-3170 with questions.  
Can I get a Temporary Certificate of Occupancy?
Yes, with the approval of the Building Official
Can I pay for permits or reinspection fees with a credit card?
Yes, we accept cash, check or credit card with a processing fee of 2.25% plus a $.75 convenience fee.
Building Inspection - Building Permits
Do I need a permit for decks, window replacements, hot tubs or basement finishes?
Yes. A permit is required for all these projects.
Is a roofing permit required to re-roof a structure in the Summit County jurisdiction?
No. A Roofing Permit is not required within the Summit County jurisdiction. Please refer to our 2012 Amendments for the following information:
"R902.1 Roofing covering materials. Roofs shall be covered with materials as set forth in Sections R904 and R905. Class A roofing shall be installed on all new buildings. Class A roofing required to be listed by this section shall be tested in accordance with UL 790 or ASTM E 108. Roof assemblies with coverings of brick, masonry, slate, clay or concrete roof tile, exposed concrete roof deck, ferrous or copper shingles or sheets, and metal sheets and shingles, shall be considered Class A roof coverings. Where required for roof drainage, scuppers shall be placed level with the roof surface in a wall or parapet. The scupper shall be located as determined by the roof slope and contributing roof area." 2012 Amendments
Where do I find structural design parameters: snow load, frost depth, wind load, etc.?
We have a matrix with all the required design information online. Matrix
When can I occupy my permitted home?
After a Certificate of Occupancy has been issued.

All building and technical permits must be complete prior to use or occupancy. All referral agency sign offs shall be obtained prior to the Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Completion.

Building Inspection - Contractor Registration
Who can pull a permit?
Either a contractor registered with us, or an authorized homeowner builder. Authorized Homeowner Builder
What is required to register as a general contractor?
An application is required to be submitted in person at the office. The applicant needs to bring in proof of $300,000 of liability insurance, photo ID, and will be required to pay a $100 fee, cash or check. Contractor Registration Application
Can the contractor's application be faxed in for electrical and plumbing contractors?
Since the plumbing and electrical trades are licensed through the state, these applications are allowed to be faxed in with proof of $300,000 of liability insurance and a photo ID. A copy of the Master’s license and
Who can pull technical permits?
Registered contractors or authorized homeowner builders. Authorized Homeowner Builder
Building Inspection
What are the hours of the Building Inspection Department?
Our hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. We have a staff meeting Wednesday mornings until about 10:30am.
What projects do not require a building permit?
Residential sheds limited to 120 sq. ft. and one story do not require a permit . However, make sure to check with the Planning Department for location allowed on your lot and with your HOA if applicable. An electrical permit is required if you are running power to your shed. Carpeting, countertops and cabinets do not require a building permit. Per the 2018 adopted codes, IRC section 105.2 #1 has been amended to the IBC section 105.2 #1.  The following work is exempt from obtaining a building permit: 1.One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided that the floor area is not greater than 120 square feet.  2. Fences not over 7 feet high. 3. Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge. 4. Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1. 5. Sidewalks and driveways. 6. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work. 7. Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep. 8. Swings and other playground equipment. 9. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support. 10. Decks not exceeding 200 square feet in area, that are not more than 18 inches above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.
What are the Building Department's inspection policies?
What days/times are permitted within the county as construction hours?
Construction is permitted Monday through Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. No construction is allowed on Sunday. This information can be found in section 3512.04 in 

Chapter 3 of the Land Use and Development Code.
Where is the Building Inspection Department?
We are located at the County Commons, 37 Peak One Drive in Frisco, Colorado.
Building Inspection - Plan Reviews
What kind of permits would I need to build a house?
It depends on your project. Typically a house would require building, mechanical, plumbing, fireplace and electrical permits.
How long will it take to get a permit?
It depends on the time of year and how complete the plans are. Building department comments are typically sent out within 2 weeks of the submittal date.
What is the IECC energy code and how do I show compliance?
The IECC is an energy code mandated by the governor's office. There are prescriptive requirements for the thermal envelope detailed in the IECC and Chapter 11 of the IRC.
How do I make changes to my building department approved plans?
Bring in the changes prepared by your design group with your red lined plans. A plan reviewer will check the changes for compliance and attach them to your approved plans here at the office. The changes then need to be onsite for the inspection. The inspector will not review changes in the field.
Do I need an appointment to meet with a Plan Reviewer or to submit plans?
Building Inspection - Inspections
How do I schedule an inspection?
Schedule your inspections online at https://commdev.co.summit.co.us/eTRAKiT3/ (copy and paste in your browser).
When will the inspectors come?
The day it is scheduled. Call by 7am the day you want the inspection.
Can I request a time for the inspection?
AM and PM requests are allowed for concrete inspections. Remember that these are just requests, as our inspectors travel through the entire county, performing up to 30 inspections daily. You can request a phone call 30 minutes prior to your inspection by leaving a message when you schedule your inspection.
What paper work do I need for an inspection?
The building department approved plans, notes, addendums, and the signoff card. Also, make sure your premises ID is visible from the road.
Will my inspector call me prior to the inspection?
Yes, they will call 30 minutes prior to your inspection if you request that when you schedule.
I have been notified of a death. What is my next step?
Once you have been notified of a death you will need to select a funeral home to make arrangements. Many decedents are not from the area so you should be aware that if you are from out of state, you may choose to make arrangements with your local funeral home of choice. They, in turn, will make arrangements with a funeral home in Colorado if the body is to be sent out of state. If you wish to come to Colorado and want to use a Colorado funeral home, keep in mind that the coroner cannot recommend a funeral home or make funeral arrangements.

Visit the Colorado Funeral Directors Association website to find a list of Denver area funeral homes or you can call our office for a list to be faxed or emailed. If you have any other questions, please call our office at (970) 668-2964.
Why is the coroner involved?
State law requires that the coroner be notified on all deaths resulting from sudden, violent, unattended, unexpected, or unusual deaths. The coroner inquires into the circumstances surrounding the death and determines the cause and manner of death through investigation by utilizing witness accounts, past medical or psychological history, toxicology testing, or by ordering an autopsy.
Will an autopsy be performed?
Each case is evaluated on an individual basis. In 2011 HB 1258 was passed in Colorado, which states that the coroner should follow the National Association of Medical Examiner Autopsy Guidelines. An autopsy may be ordered in cases where the death is the result of other than natural causes.
What about organ / tissue donation?
If the decedent made known that he or she desired to be an organ donor, the coroner staff will discuss this with the next of kin and then notify the Donor Alliance, which is the organ / tissue bank in Colorado. An organ donation representative may contact you.
Where do I obtain a death certificate?
Due to our mountain location, certified death certificates may not be available right away. One cannot be issued until you have decided on a funeral home. A pending death certificate is issued in death investigations undergoing autopsy or awaiting toxicology results. Results of autopsy and/or toxicology may take 4-6 weeks or longer, to process. Your funeral home will make arrangements for as many copies as you need. The cost for the original death certificate is $20. If you order copies at that time, they are $13 each. If you need to order more at a later date, the price reverts back to the original fee of $20. Oftentimes, with out of state families, it is faster to send a check to our County Clerk’s office. You may call them directly at (970) 453-3470.

Fill out a Death Certificate Application.

Many other questions arise during this confusing time. The Summit County Office of the Coroner strives to provide answers and to address any questions you have during the course of the investigation.
What can I do if there is no money for funeral arrangements?
If sufficient funds are not available, your funeral director can give you information on government and non-government assistance sources. If the decedent was honorably discharged from the Armed Forces, Veterans benefits may be sought. If the decedent was receiving social services benefits, they may be able to assist.
Where does my loved one get taken?
Our office has access to a refrigerated holding area. No morgue or autopsy facility exists in Summit County. We contract with Jefferson County in Golden, Colorado for autopsies.
Do I need to make an identification?
Visual identification is not always required because identification may be determined by other means.
May I see my loved one?
Depending on circumstances, it may or may not be possible. The office does not have a viewing area and we do not allow viewing in our holding area. Viewing a loved on in the morgue can be traumatic and it is an unsanitary and unpleasant place. The funeral home is the best place to have a visitation and say your goodbyes. Prior to cremation or burial, a viewing can be arranged with the funeral home if circumstances warrant. If an autopsy has been ordered, a viewing can still be possible. However, in autopsy cases, you may have to wait an average of 72 hours to do so. Viewing may or may not be a sound choice depending on post mortem artifacts or trauma. Your funeral home will usually let you know their opinion, if asked.
How long will it take before you release my loved one?
Depending on whether a hold has been placed, we will make all efforts to have an autopsy performed within 72 hours. Your funeral director will coordinate the release on your behalf or you may contact this office.
How do I obtain personal effects and items taken into evidence?
These items have been inventoried and logged within 24 hours and you may call this office to make arrangements to pick up these items in person or to have them shipped to you. This office is not responsible for items found in vehicles or residences. Generally, what is inventoried are items used to assist in identification such as papers, wallet, cell phones, or jewelry found with the deceased. Clothing will be inventoried and may be released to the funeral home. Occasionally clothing needs to be held as evidence for further investigation. Clothing that presents a health hazard (blood or otherwise) will be disposed of for the safety of all persons involved.
How do I obtain an Autopsy Report or Coroner's Report?
Family members may request an Autopsy Report either verbally or in writing. Families will receive them free of charge. Attorney's and insurance companies will be charged a nominal fee.

Note: Autopsy Reports take an average of 12 weeks. The reason for this is due to toxicology and microscopic evaluation.

What is the policy on spreading ashes?
The question concerning the spreading of ashes has been asked often enough that it has been included here.The spreading of cremains has been discouraged by the National Forest Service but not prohibited. You do not need a permit. The Forest Service asks that you keep ashes away from the water table and not spread them in water.

If you have any other questions, please call our office at (970) 668-2964.

County Commissioners
What is the difference between a Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) work session and regular meeting?
A work session is an informal meeting of the commissioners in which issues are discussed and formal action is never taken. The commissioners are “informed” at these sessions and brought up-to-date on topics of interest to the county. Regular meetings are where official action is taken. These meetings adhere to a strict agenda and include topics that have been discussed in prior work sessions.
Emergency Management
How will Summit County communicate with me during an emergency?
We will use these methods to communicate with you during an emergency:
  • Telephone reverse dialing (reverse 9-1-1)
  • Text messaging
  • 2-1-1
  • Twitter
  • Local broadcast radio
  • Television stations
  • National Weather Service Emergency Alert System
  • Public address
  • Going door-to-door
How do I obtain Community Right to Know Act information regarding hazardous-materials fixed facilities?
This information is maintained by the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC), which can be reached by email. The LEPC meets six times each year and the Office of Emergency Management has the meeting schedule information. The public is welcome to attend meetings.
How can I verify the 911 Center has my landline phone associated with my correct physical address?
Call the Communications Center at (970) 668-8600 and ask the Dispatcher if they have time for you to call in on 911 and verify your physical address. Follow the instructions from the Dispatcher. As a note this service is only availabe at times when the Communications Center is not busy with other work, so call and check with them.
Where to I find the current level of the National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS)?
You can find the most current information online.
Environmental Health
How do I test my home for radon?
The Environmental Health department has FREE radon test kits. We have both short-term (3-7 days) and long-term (3-6 month) test kits. You may pick yours up at our office.
How do I apply for a septic permit?
Septic permits may be applied for at our office or through the engineer you hire to design your system. Please visit our Onsite Wastewater System pages for more information. Onsite Wastewater Systems
How do I get my well water tested?
Summit County Environmental Health provides well water testing for nitrates and coliform bacteria. Please visit our Drinking Water page for more information. Drinking Water
Environmental Health - Animal Related Diseases
How do I clean up rodent droppings?
It is very important to be cautious when cleaning up rodent droppings and nesting areas to prevent Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome. Follow these instructions for safe clean up procedures. Safe rodent dropping cleanup
Do animals in Summit County have rabies?
Yes. A rabid bat was found in 2010. Rabies
Do bed bugs carry diseases?
Current information shows that they do not carry human diseases. Bed bugs
I am traveling out of the country. Should I be concerned about contracting diseases?
Yes, Many diseases exist in foreign countries that do not exist in the United States. To prevent contracting a foreign illness you may need to obtain vaccinations and medications. This department and the Centers for Disease Control recommend that you contact a travel clinic for assistance. Traveler health
Environmental Health - Consumer Protection
I got sick after eating at a restaurant. What should I do?
If this is an emergency, seek medical attention immediately.
Once you have received appropriate medical care or if none is needed, contact Environmental Health, (970) 668-4070. Be prepared to answer the following questions:
-Symptoms, start and end
-72 hour food history
-Other individuals who may have eaten the same items
-Other individuals who are sick
-Medical diagnoses (if any)
We appreciate you taking the time to contact us in order to identify and prevent possible food borne outbreaks in the community.
How do I know how my child care center / school did on their last inspection?
You can contact the Environmental Health department to request inspection records.
How do I keep my family safe when cooking at home?
The most important food safety principles are:
-Safe cooking and holding temperatures for foods. For example, Burgers, chicken and eggs have different cooking temperatures (155ºF, 165ºF and 145ºF respectively). Also try to keep food out of the “Danger Zone” (42ºF to 134CF) Cold foods should be kept at or below 41ºF and hot foods should be kept at 135ºF or higher whenever possible.
-Hygiene, for example washing your hands when switching from raw meat products to ready to eat foods or after handling pets or using the restroom.
-Avoiding cross contamination of raw meat products with ready to eat foods, this includes utensils, cutting boards, and sinks. Visit this sight for more information Fight Bac!
Environmental Health - Drinking Water
How do I get my well tested?
Summit County Environmental Health provides well water testing for nitrates and coliform bacteria. See our Drinking Water page or contact our office for details. Drinking Water
How do I get a water well permit?
Water well permits in Summit County are obtained through the Colorado Department of Natural Resources in Denver. Please call 303.866.3587, and ask for Division of Water Resources, Water Well Permitting Section or visit thier website Colorado Division of Water Resources
Environmental Health - Food Safety
How do I start or take over a food establishment?
For a new facility: You must fill out a plan review packet. This will give you details of Environmental Health requirements for retail food service. For example, all retails food service facilities must provide employee an employee hand washing sink, a place to wash dishes and a mop sink. Once this is submitted with associated documents and fees, you will be given a list of any additional requirements as well as instructions on how to proceed.
For a change of ownership of an existing facility: Contact Environmental Health, (970) 668-4070, to set up a walk-through inspection of the facility. An inspector will meet you onsite and if any part of the facility is not meeting current Colorado State Regulations, it will have to be corrected. A fee of $75 will be collected on site for the inspection.
In either instance, once you have been approved by this department, you will need to obtain a Retail Food License and pay for the current year’s license, this is not prorated and will be the same whether you open your business in January or December. More detailed information can be found on our
Retail Food page
How do I sell food at a temporary event?
Please contact the event coordinator to obtain details about participation. They will provide the appropriate environmental Health applications. These applications should be returned to the coordinator the required amount of time before the event date. You will need to provide proof of your Colorado retail food license in addition to the application. For more information go to Temporary Events info
I got sick after eating at a restaurant. What should I do?
If this is an emergency, seek medical attention immediately.
Once you have received appropriate medical care or if none is needed, contact Environmental Health, (970) 668-4070. Be prepared to answer the following questions:
-Symptoms, start and end
-72 hour food history
-Other individuals who may have eaten the same items
-Other individuals who are sick
-Medical diagnoses (if any)
We appreciate you taking the time to contact us in order to identify and prevent possible food borne outbreaks in the community.
How do I see restaurant inspections?
All restaurant inspections are public record. View them here Restaurant Inspections
How do I keep my family safe when cooking at home?
The most important food safety principles are:
-Safe cooking and holding temperatures for foods. For example, Burgers, chicken and eggs have different cooking temperatures (155ºF, 165ºF and 145ºF respectively). Also try to keep food out of the “Danger Zone” (42ºF to 134F) Cold foods should be kept at or below 41ºF and hot foods should be kept at 135ºF or higher whenever possible.
-Hygiene, for example washing your hands when switching from raw meat products to ready to eat foods or after handling pets or using the restroom.
-Avoiding cross contamination of raw meat products with ready to eat foods, this includes utensils, cutting boards, and sinks. Visit this sight for more information Fight Bac!
Environmental Health - Indoor Air Quality
What is radon?
Radon is colorless, odorless, tasteless gas. It is present at dangerous levels in many Summit County homes. It is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S. For more information go to Radon Info
Where can I get free radon test kits?
Free short term (3-7 days) and long term (3-6 month) kits are available for pick up at the Summit County Environmental Health office.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that can be fatal if left undetected. All homes should have carbon monoxide detectors and rental homes are required to by law. For more information go to Carbon Monixide Info
What are indoor air quality issues in Summit County?
Many summit County homes have dangerous levels of radon. In contrast, due to low humidity levels, mold tends to be less of a concern. For more information on possible indoor air quality issues go to Indoor Air Quality info
How do I find a radon mitigation contractor?
You can find a list of state licensed radon mitigation contractors at the Colorado Dept of Public Health & Environment. Colorado Dept of Public Health & Environment.
Environmental Health - On-Site Wastewater Systems
When do I get my permit?
First a site inspection must be conducted to determine if the proposed system can meet all setback requirements. All components of the septic system, as well as proposed building, well, water lines and property lines must be indicated by stakes on your property for this inspection. If the inspector finds that the proposed system meets all regulations, the application will be approved for permitting. See the Onsite Wastewater page for more information. Onsite Wastewater
When can a soil profile survey be conducted?
Soils can be evaluated at any time provided that the soil is not frozen and both equipment and our staff can safely access the site. A profile hole inspection may be required during maximal seasonal groundwater periods (usually mid-May through mid-June). If your profile hole cannot be inspected during this period additional conditions may be required on your permit (i.e.-a French drain or mound, etc). See the Onsite Wastewater page for more information. Onsite Wastewater
What is the cutoff date for septic installations?
The Division may limit the installation of systems to the months of June, July, August and September unless waived by the Department when proper weather conditions exist which prevents the materials from freezing. See the Onsite Wastewater page for more information. Onsite Wastewater
Where do I find licensed contractors, cleaners, or engineers to install, maintain, or design my septic system?
You can find lists of licensed OWS Engineers, Contractors and Cleaners on our website or you may also stop the EH offices. Licensed Professionals
How do I become a septic contractor / installer?
A septic contractor/Installer must be tested and licensed by the Summit County Environmental Health Department. The test is open book, taken from the current OWS Regulations. There are fees associated with testing and licensing. Regulations are available on the EH webpage or may be purchased at the office. Testing takes, on average, 3 hours. Licenses must be renewed annually.  If a license lapses the test must be retaken.  More information can be found at the link below.

Does snow and winter weather affect my ability to get an OWTS permit?

Yes it can. In order to permit an OWTS design, EH staff must visit the property and verify that the soils/groundwater conditions are suitable and that all required setbacks can be met. Freezing temperatures and snow can prevent us from doing this. Generally, OWTS permits cannot be issued during the months of October – May.

If ground water is not checked during seasonally high groundwater, EH staff may conservatively assume shallow groundwater and require an OWTS design that is appropriate for high groundwater. Seasonal high groundwater is generally during May – June depending on elevation and weather. The ideal time to obtain an OWTS permit is in June. Consult with your designer or this office for more details.

Does snow and winter weather affect my ability to construct an OWTS?
OWTS are generally constructed between June – November due to the challenges of working in freezing temperatures and snow.
Environmental Health - Outdoor Air Quality
Can I burn my trash in Summit County?
No. State law prevents the burning of trash in counties with a population greater than 25,000.
Can I burn my pile of slash?
In most cases you can burn slash piles but permits are required from the local fire authority and from the county Environmental Health department. For very large piles, the state health department will need to permit burning. Contact your local fire department to determine what kind of permit you may need.
Can I have a campfire in my backyard?
Recreational fires do not require a burn permit so long as they are kept under control and small. It is recommended to contact county dispatch (911) to notify them of your plans prior to burning.
Environmental Health - Recreational Waters (Pools/Spas)
I have a rash since soaking in a hot tub. Was this caused by the hot tub?
It is possible that your rash was caused by the hot tub. Hot tub rash is caused by a bacteria getting into the hair follicles and causing an infection. Proper disinfection levels in the spa will prevent the occurrence of this bacteria. You can click here for more information on Hot tub rash.
How do I prevent swimmer's ear?
Tips for preventing Swimmers Ear include keeping water out of the ear and drying out the ear after swimming. Click here for more information on Swimmer's Ear
My child has diarrhea but wants to go to the local swimming pool. Is this a good idea?
No. Diarrheal diseases such as Cryptosporidium and Giardia can easily be spread at swimming pools. It is best to wait until symptoms of diarrhea stop before going swimming. Click here for more information on Recreational water related diseases
Environmental Health - Use Permits (OWS)
When do I need to get a Use Permit?
A Use Permit is required at the transfer or remodel of any property that has one or more active Onsite Wastewater Systems.
There are some exceptions: 1) the system is less than 5 years old, 2) the system was installed yet never connected to a structure and so has never been used, or 3) major repairs are needed and the buyer has obtained a repair permit for the repairs and agreed in writing to complete the repairs by a given date. See our Use Permits page for more information.
Use Permits
How do I get a Use Permit?
Contact an approved Use Permit Inspector to schedule the inspection. Once the inspection has been conducted, the Use Permit Inspector will submit it to the Environmental Health department to review. The permit will be issued or denied based on the inspection results. Approved Use Permit Inspectors
Who is a Use Permit inspector?
A Use Permit Inspector is an individual currently licensed by a nationally recognized inspection certification program such as the National Association of Wastewater Transporters (NAWT), National Sanitation Foundation (NSF), or equal. Onsite Wastewater engineers also qualify to conduct inspections. A list of Summit County approved inspectors is available on the website.
What is the sales tax rate in Summit County?
Your sales tax rate depends on the jurisdiction(s) of the point of sale. View a table of sales tax rates for all jurisdictions in Summit County.
How can I review the County's expenditures?
Summit County publishes monthly reports of all its expenditures.
Am I required to pay sales taxes on the short-term rental of my property?
Yes. Please refer to the our page on sales tax.
How do I get a sales tax license?
Information about obtaining a sales tax license is available at the State Department of Revenue's website.
GIS -  Addressing
I need an Address to get a Building Permit. How do I go about getting an address assigned?
Contact the GIS department. In order to assign an address, the GIS Department will need a site plan showing access. Please see Summit County Addressing, Road Naming and Numbering Regulations.
How do I change the physical address of my property?
The properties physical address is assigned by the Summit County GIS department and must adhere to Addressing, Road Naming, and Numbering Regulations. If there is a discrepancy between the address listed on the "Property Information Search & Maps" and what you believe the address to be, contact the GIS department. Please review Addressing under the GIS page. View Regulations
My Property Deed has a different address than the "Property Information Search & Maps" and I am trying to sell or refinance my mortgage. How do I go about getting this resolved?
Contact the GIS department. An address confirmation letter will be written by Summit County GIS department confirming a physical address for a property’s legal description.
How do I change/update my mailing address?
Contact the office of the County Assessor at (970) 453-3480. View the County Assessor's Website.
How can I acquire county GIS data for my own use?
How can I change or add a road name to an existing street in unincorporated Summit County?
You are required to have documentation signed by all (100%) owners accessing their properties from that road. To help determine if the road name you are proposing to use will be approved by the GIS Department, please refer to the "Property Information Search & Maps" and search by ‘Address’ and ‘Description’ to see if the name is already in use. We do not approve duplicates of already existing road and subdivision names. For more information on our road and subdivision naming policies, please review the recorded Addressing, Road Naming, and Numbering Regulations
How do I get approval for a subdivision or road name for a new development project?
You must submit the project for review with the Planning Department. During current planning process, all new subdivision and road names are reviewed by the GIS Department. Duplicates of existing subdivision and road names will not be approved. To help determine if the road name you are proposing to use will be approved by the GIS Department, please refer to "Property Information Search & Maps" and search by ‘Address’ and ‘Description’ to see if the name is already in use. For more information on our road and subdivision naming policies, please view Project & Road Naming Rules & Regulations.
Housing - Bill's Ranch
How much need is there for deed restricted housing?
The 2023 Countywide Housing Needs Assessment, identified a need for up to 1,865 affordable workforce housing for sale units by 2028.
Can't the County develop workforce housing on other property the County owns?
Currently there are 7 County-owned parcels that are developable, and the County is working to develop them. The remaining land is dedicated Open Space.
How many units are being proposed on this parcel?
The County is proposing 15 units on the Bill’s Ranch site. Initial plans from Norris Design included 22 units – which site designers found fit the surroundings and provides a transition to the greater density of Frisco Bay Townhomes. 
What is the schedule for the proposed Site Plan?
The Site Plan application is tentatively scheduled to be heard at the Ten Mile Planning Commission meeting on February 8, 2014, under Planning Case PLN23-092.
Who owns Miners Creek Road?
Miners Creek Road is owned by Summit County Government. Most of the area where the road sits in located within interstitial parcels that the County acquired in 1992 from Richard Blumenheim.
Who maintains Miners Creek Road?
The road is not currently on the list of County maintained roads. However, since 1993 the County has provided occasional assistance with snowplowing and road maintenance when possible. 
What improvements is the County proposing to make to Miners Creek Road?
The County is working with a consultant to design 3 options to improve Miners Creek Rd., all of which include traffic calming, drainage improvements, and an adjacent soft surface trail.
How will the drainage issues on Miners Creek Road be fixed?
Improving the drainage may include narrowing the travel way and building a ditch adjacent to the road to hold runoff. 
Will the County keep or knock down the existing cabin on the site?
The County has decided to keep and remodel the existing cabin.
What environmental studies are being conducted for this development proposal?
The County’s code requires an applicant to conduct a wetland delineation, if required by the County’s Planning Department. Since the applicant is the County, the Housing Department hired Alpine Eco to conduct the delineation. Alpine Eco visited the project site and found no wetlands.
How will drainage be accounted for on the site?
The Housing Department has hired a professional engineer to evaluate and design drainage. Those designs will then be reviewed and evaluated by the County’s Engineering Department.
Where will snow be stored on the site?
The proposed area for snow storage will be evaluated by the County’s Planning Department to determine if the area is sufficient. 
If the Site Plan is approved, what is the next step in the development process?
If the Site Plan is approved, the General Contractor will then apply for the building permits.
Is this project related to the Feister Preserve?
No, this project is completely unrelated. The Feister Preserve is a 6.125 acre parcel, owned by the County and located to the south of this proposed project. In 1998, the BOCC granted a conservation easement to the Continental Divide Trust to maintain the Feister Preserve as a conservation area. 
What will be the for-sale price of these homes?
Units are proposed to be priced using an Area Median Income (AMI) of 80%-105%. In 2023, 80% AMI units are priced at $258,282 for a one-bedroom and $323,787 for a two-bedroom. The rest of the AMIs can be found here.
Why was the current design chosen?
In one of the earlier design concepts, the County proposed a mix of duplexes and single-family units on the site. Conversations with members of the Bill’s Ranch community indicated that single-family cabins were preferred, as a better fit with the aesthetics of the neighborhood.
How much parking is being provided at the development?
For resident parking, a minimum of two parking spaces will be required for each unit with garages and private driveways provided to serve each individual lot. Parking for guests will be accommodated within the private driveway areas, consistent with the County parking standards for single-family residential development. The specific number and location of spots will be identified in the site plan and plat process.
Are the power lines going to be buried as part of this project?
The overhead powerlines that are on the proposed development parcel will likely be buried as part of this project, pending a final determination once comments are received from Xcel. While the power lines that run parallel to Miners Creek Rd. on the Frisco Bay side are not planned to be buried as part of this project, the County is open to partnering with the community to facilitate this in the future. 
Is the SCHA planning on holding a lottery to choose qualified buyers for the properties? If not a lottery, what method will be used?
There will be a lottery and SCHA will be more than likely oversee the lottery and vet the winners to verify they qualify.
Does the Builder have a Development Purchase Agreement already in place?
NO, we are the owner of the property, and we are developing the property.
Is there a general timeline in place for construction?

YES, we have the G& E permit and building permits are submitted. Construction will start by May 1st.

For purposes of the RFP, should Sec. 7 County Staff Time and Resources, include estimates for the SCHA or only Summit County?

NO, just Summit County Housing Department staff time.

Will there be an Acknowledgement of Receipt form added to the Real Estate Sales post, or should we use the one posted in the Construction RFP?

When you submit your proposal, we will send the acknowledgement of receipt to you.

Information Systems
How can I report issues with the county website?
To report issues with the Summit County Government Website, please use this Form
How do I contact a city/county department?
Visit the Staff Directory to find all department and staff contact information.
Where can I find the answers to my frequently asked questions?
Use the FAQs module to easily find answers to the questions you ask the most.
Mesa Cortina Pile Burning
FIRETrees near piles may be scorched by fire. Fire is a natural ecosystem service utilized as a tool in the restoration of many Colorado forest types, including those in Summit County. Some  scorching may occur adjacent to the piles. Should a tree become engulfed and torch, the risk of escape is extremely unlikely:

  • The area will be covered in either snow or asphalt, and other non-combustible materials when the decision to burn is made and will have a minimum of 3” of snow on the ground.
  • The likelihood of a tree “torching” and those embers starting a fire is so low that it cannot be effectively modeled with common fire modeling software.
(An example of a pile burning near trees)
fire 2.There will be two Type 6 Wildland Fire Engines on site in support of this operation and adequate staffing for each shift of burning, which includes qualified Engine Bosses. Each engine is equipped with the minimum “National Unit Standard” of specific quantities of hose, fitting and accessory requirements, able to meet specific hoselay requirements. We also plan on supplying an additional 3000 feet of on-site hose. It is likely that burning operations will be conducted in below freezing conditions and will require 3” of snow.

Hand Pile Burning  (Hand-pile burning in a Northern Colorado spruce-fir forest)
It is every homeowner’s responsibility to be “Firewise” and ensure that all elements of their home are not prone to ember reception. Common receptors include shake shingle rooves and dirty, dry gutters.

  • The likely temperature range for when the burn will be conducted is so low that it changes fire behavior characteristics to the point that even if embers are cast from the piles, they lose efficacy and are not able to start new spot fires.
  • The pile composition and structure are not conducive to ember production and burn “cleanly”, very much like a campfire.
  • Operations will be conducted either during or after a significant snow event to ensure that there is a minimum of 3” of snow on the ground.
It is common practice to manage multiple burning piles during a shift. In other words, one individual may ignite several piles and spend the remainder of their time during that shift dedicated to “chunking” (moving material on the periphery of the pile into the fire), monitoring and communicating progress of the area that they are managing. Each individual managing a given area is a qualified wildland firefighter integrated into an incident command system led by a qualified burn boss. Under this system of organization, firefighters can rapidly communicate and operate within the foundation of goals and objectives built into the prescribed fire burn plan.
Open Space & Trails
What is Open Space?
Open space is any open piece of land that is undeveloped (has no buildings or other built structures) and is visible or accessible to the public. The Summit County Open Space & Trails Department is funded by property taxes and uses these funds to acquire properties for open space. The Open Space & Trails Department identifies, protects and manages open spaces, trails and trailheads to preserve and maintain Summit County's rural mountain character, unique natural areas and high quality of life for residents and visitors.
How do I volunteer for Open Space and Trails?
Please see the Volunteer Information page. For additional information or questions, call Allison Mitchell at 970-668-4213 or email [email protected].

Volunteer Information
How do I help protect additional land as Open Space?
If you own land or know of anyone who is interested in selling property that you feel has open space values, Open Space staff welcomes discussing this with you. Summit County has also accepted many qualified property donations as open space, and landowners are sometimes able to realize significant tax benefits for their donation. For additional information or questions, please contact Brian Lorch at 970-668-4067 or email [email protected].
Why are some Open Space properties closed to the public?
Some of Summit County’s largest open space properties have been protected by conservation easement. This means that the property is still privately owned and the landowner is not required to provide public access, but he/she has given up the right to develop the land, thereby preserving its scenic and natural resources qualities. Please respect the private property rights of these conservation-minded landowners.
What are the rules and regulations for the Recreation Pathway (Recpath)?
Please see the Rules & Regulations page. For additional information or questions, contact Allison Mitchell at 970-668-4213 or email [email protected]

What are the rules and regulations for Open Space properties?
Please see the Rules & Regulations page. For additional information or questions, contact Christine.Zenel at 970-668-4061 or email [email protected].

What is the OSAC and when does it meet?
The Summit County Open Space Advisory Council is a citizen-appointed board responsible for recommending open space acquisition priorities to the Board of County Commissioners, along with providing input on the County’s overall Open Space protection program. Open Space Advisory Council meetings are held on the first Wednesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. in the Buffalo Mountain room of the County Commons building in Frisco. (Please note that as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic and associated Public Health Restrictions, the Open Space Advisory Council is meeting virtually via webmeeting.)
Where can I hike with my dog?
Most open space properties are open to hiking with your dog subject to Summit County Animal Control Regulations, but there may be site-specific restriction to conform with adjacent land uses. Please read and follow signage. Along the Recpath, pets must be on a leash (under “Physical Control” as that term is defined in section 6.7 of the Animal Control Regulations.)
Where can I report trail problems, or other concerns regarding Summit County Open Space Properties?
Please report any open space issues by calling Christine Zenel at 970-668-4061 or email [email protected].
How do I book a special event or special use?
Please see the Special Events page. For additional information, contact Allison Mitchell at 970-668-4213 or email [email protected]. or Jordan Mead at 970-668-4065 or email at [email protected].

Special Events
Can I hunt or fish on Open Space Property?
Hunting is NOT allowed on any open space property, but trail access is allowed for those carrying firearms to adjacent areas. Fishing is allowed strictly in accordance with all applicable state and local regulations.
Can I sign up to adopt sections of the Recpath or County Road?
Yes, if you would like to adopt a section of the Recpath, please contact Allison Mitchell at 970-668-4213 or email [email protected]. For road adoption information, please contact Marsha Miller at 970-668-3590 or email [email protected].

Can I book Sapphire Point for an event?
Reservations for Sapphire Point can be made by calling Recreation.gov at 1-877-444-6777 or visiting their website,

Are motorized vehicles/devices allowed on the Recpath?
No, motorized vehicles are not typically allowed on the Recpath, with limited exceptions for persons with disabilities. Other exceptions include motorized vehicles used for official emergency, law enforcement or County authorized maintenance purposes. The section of Recpath in the Bill’s Ranch Subdivision is open to motorized use for the sole purpose of providing access to and from properties by area homeowners and their guest. Please see the Rules & Regulations page for more information. Recpath Regulations
Can I drive my snowmobile on the Recpath?
Snowmobiles are not permitted on the Recpath. For additional information, please see section 3 of the Recreation Pathway Regulations, Recpath Regulations.
Can I reserve the Blue River Park/Fields?
Reservation can be made through the Building and Grounds Department at 970-668-4229.
Is the Recpath plowed in the winter?
Sections of the Recpath in unincorporated Summit County are not plowed in the winter and are open for cross-county skiing, snowshoeing and other forms of non-motorized winter recreation. The Towns of Breckenridge, Dillon, Frisco and Silverthorne plow the Recpaths within Town limits.
Can I swim in the Dillon Reservoir? Windsurf?
Water contact activities such as swimming (by humans or dogs) and water skiing in Dillon Reservoir is strictly prohibited. Windsurfing and stand-up paddle boarding are allowed with a full body wet or dry suit. For additional information about recreation on the Dillon Reservoir, see Dillon Reservoir Recreation.
Can I hold a wedding on Open Space property?
Weddings are not permitted on Open Space properties. Please visit the Special Events page for more information. Special Events
How do I reserve a campsite?
Campgrounds in Summit County are administered by the US Forest Service, Dillon Ranger District (970) 468-5400. Reservations can be made by calling Recreation.gov at 1-877-444-6777 or their by visiting their website, Recreation.gov.
Who manages the Recreation Pathway System (Recpath)?
Summit County Open Space & Trails Department manages the Recpath outside of town boundaries. Each of the towns manages the Recpath within their jurisdiction; Town of Frisco, Town of Breckenridge, Town of Dillon, and Town of Silverthorne.
Can I pan for gold on Open Space property?
No, it is unlawful to remove any natural resource, including minerals, from Open Space properties.
What is my property zoned?
To find out the zoning of your property please visit the Parcel Query Tool. On the left hand side of the screen there is a column with options to select. Click the Zoning box and the zoning layer will display.
What are the permitted uses in each zone district? What will my zoning allow me to do on my property?
For permitted uses allowed in each zoning district, refer to Figure 3-2: The Land Use Matrix or Figure 3-3: Land Uses by District of the Summit County Land Use Development Code. If your property is zoned as a Planned Unit Development (PUD), see the list of PUDs. Call the Planning Department at 970-668-4200 if you have questions.
Can you answer zoning questions about a property located within an incorporated town?
The Summit County Planning Department does not have jurisdiction within the incorporated towns of the county, which include Blue River, Breckenridge, Dillon, Frisco, Montezuma and Silverthorne. For zoning or land-use questions about properties in any of the towns, contact the town directly. 

What is the Planning Department's role in regard to building permits?
The Building Inspection Department is your first point of contact for all Summit County building permits. You should submit all plans for permits to that department, unless directed otherwise by staff. Plans for building permits dropped off at other departments may cause a delay in the review and issuance of your permit.
Visit the Building Permits page to find out about review and submittal requirements. During the permitting process, the Building Department will refer all applicable building permit applications to the Planning Department for review and comment.
How do I file a complaint about trash, junk cars, illegal apartments, etc., on my neighbor's property?
For violations regarding or related to zoning, animal keeping, home businesses, outdoor storage, or the accumulation of rubbish, the Summit County Code Enforcement Officer should be contacted directly at 970-668-4211.

Complaints about nuisances related to parking on public roads, trespassing, and noise violations should be filed directly with the Summit County Sheriff’s Office at 970-453- 2232.

More serious nuisances related to dilapidated buildings and structures posing a danger to public health and safety should be reported to the Summit County Building Inspection Department at 970-668-3170.

Violations that pose an immediate threat to health, safety and welfare, such as spills of hazardous materials, should be reported immediately by calling 911.

What projects are under review and how do I obtain application materials, plans, staff reports, etc?
Materials for meetings may be accessed on the Projects Under Review page 
Public Trustee
I received a Notice of Election and Demand (NED) stating my property is in foreclosure. What can I do?
Call the foreclosure hotline at (970) 453-3440 or send an email to [email protected].  Our office can answer procedure questions but will not give legal or lending advice. Read the Foreclosure Process document for more information.
I am interested in a foreclosure property. Can I look at it?
We do not show properties and potential bidders may not force the homeowner to let them see the property.  
What type of payment is required?
We must have full payment in the form of certified check (Cashiers or Teller) or a wire transfer at the conclusion of the auction. Some people will bring a certified check for the maximum they are able to bid or wire the money ahead of time. These amounts are not public record. If property is obtained for less than received amount, a refund check or excess wire amount is issued / returned the same day.
What type of information is needed at the sale?
The name, address, and contact information of the name to be used on the certificate of purchase for the successful bidder.
What is the Colorado Open Records Act Fee Policy?
In order to pay for the cost of staff, custodians of public records within the City and County of Denver may charge for research and retrieval time necessary to respond to requests for records under the Colorado Open Records Act (“CORA”). Pursuant to C.R.S. §24-72-205(6), effective July 1, 2014, staff time may be charged at a rate not to exceed $30.00 per hour. There shall be no charge for the first hour of time for research and retrieval of records.
Road & Bridge
Does Summit County maintain my road?
All Summit County roads are assigned a Summit County road number to assist Emergency Services in locating a specific address. Roads that have a county road number may or may not be maintained by the county.
How does a road get accepted into the County maintenance program?
The short answer is because it hasn't been accepted for county maintenance. If you would like to have your road maintained by the county, you must submit your request to the Summit County Engineer. For a complete description of the process, see Section 5500 of the Road and Bridge Standards.

Engineering Department
How do I find out if my road is maintained?
To find out if your road receives county maintenance, view the County Maintained Road List or contact the Summit County Road and Bridge Department at (970) 668-3590.
I would like to make improvements to my driveway. Do I need a permit?
Depending on the improvements you are making, yes. If you simply want to pave your gravel driveway, you do not need a permit; however, there are specific regulations pertaining to how your driveway ties into the county road. If you are installing or replacing a culvert, you will need a permit. Please contact the Construction Inspector at (970) 668-4199 for specific permit or construction requirements prior to beginning the work.
Is parking allowed on County roads?
Parking on county roads is illegal in Summit County, and it is the responsibility of every property owner to provide adequate off right of way parking. On road parking presents particular difficulties during snow removal season, and the Sheriff’s Department may order illegally parked vehicles to be towed.
Why does snow end up in my driveway?
During snow removal operations, snow is pushed off the road onto the county right of way. Private driveways access through this right of way area and are the responsibility of the homeowner to keep clear.
When do Summit County plows conduct snow removal in residential neighborhoods?
Arterial roads, such as the Dillon Dam Road, Swan Mountain Road, and school bus routes, receive priority maintenance. Secondary priority is given to collector roads through subdivisions, followed by other lower volume roads.
Who should I talk to about speeding vehicles and traffic calming in my neighborhood?
Questions regarding speed limits on roads or methods used for slowing traffic should be directed to the County Engineer at (970) 668-4212.

Engineering Department
Who should I talk to about roadway signage?
Requests for signage should be directed to the County Engineer at (970) 668-4212.

Engineering Department
Are right of way permits available online?
No. Due to the sensitivity of digging within the public right of way, right of way permits are issued by the Construction Inspector. Please contact the Construction Inspector at (970) 668-4199 to obtain a permit application.
Where should I store snow from my driveway when shoveling or plowing?
When clearing your driveway, either by yourself or with the aid of a private contractor, be aware that it is unlawful to push or throw snow onto or across the roadway. Your snow must be disposed of on your own property. Snow pushed onto the road not only makes plowing more difficult for road crews, but can cause a dangerous obstacle in the roadway or a nuisance to your neighbors.
Road & Bridge - Right of Way Permits
I would like to make improvements to my driveway. Do I need a permit?
Depending on the improvements you are making, yes. If you simply want to pave your gravel driveway, you do not need a permit. However, there are specific regulations pertaining to how your driveway ties into the county road. If you are installing or replacing a culvert, you will need a permit. Please contact the construction inspector at (970) 668-4199 for specific permit or construction requirements prior to beginning the work.
Are right of way permits available online?
Due to the sensitivity of digging within the public right of way, right of way permits are not issued online. An application for a Right-of-Way permit (fillable PDF) shall be completed and submitted to the Construction Inspector along with all required attachments.
Road & Bridge - Summer Maintenance
How do I find out if my road is maintained?
To find out if your road receives county maintenance, view the County Maintained Road List or contact the Summit County Road and Bridge Department at (970) 668-3590.
I pay my taxes; why isn't my road being maintained?
The short answer is because it hasn't been accepted for county maintenance. If you would like to have your road maintained by the county, you must submit your request to the Summit County engineer. For a complete description of the process, see Section 5500 of the Road and Bridge Standards.
Sheriff's Office
What payment types are accepted?
We accept personal checks, certified checks, money orders, or credit / debit cards. There is an additional processing fee of $3.50 or 3.5% of the transaction on any credit / debit card payments.
When will the Sheriff's Office accept documents to be served?
We accept papers for civil process Monday through Friday between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. Our office is closed on legal holidays recognized by Summit County.
How will the Sheriff's Office accept documents to be served?
We accept documents for service of civil process by:
Fax at (970) 423-8894 and email if prior authorization has been received from the civil clerk
Hand delivery to the front office during normal business hours at our physical address: 501 N. Park Ave.
Breckenridge, CO 80424

Mail (either to our P.O. Box for U.S. Postal Delivery or to our physical address for FedEx and UPS):

Summit County Sheriff's Office
Attn: Civil
P.O. Box 210
501 North Park Ave.
Breckenridge, CO 80424-0210
What documents are required to submit to the Sheriff's Office to initiate service?
Please provide a cover letter (either from your law office or you personally) directing the Sheriff’s Office who to serve, where this person will be located, any contact phone numbers you may have, and work location if applicable. You may also complete and include the “Civil Process Information Sheet”. Remember the more accurate information you provide will increase the probability of successful service. Be sure to include all of your return contact information including mailing address and phone number. The Sheriff’s Office will require the appropriate fees for service be paid in advance. Please include one set of the documents to be served (an additional complete copy is appreciated for our Sheriff’s Office files). A self-addressed, stamped envelope for the Return of Service is also appreciated.
How will I know that the service has been completed?
Once the Sheriff’s Office has completed civil service or in the event that the service cannot be accomplished, a “Return of Service” or “Return of Non Service” affidavit will be completed, notarized, and mailed back to the person requesting service. It is the responsibility of the requester to provide this affidavit to the appropriate court.
What if I overpaid for civil process?
The Sheriff’s Office will issue a refund check once the service is complete that will be attached to the Return of Service document mailed back to you.
What if I want to know if the service has been completed?
You may call the Sheriff’s Office Civil Division during business hours to check on the status at 970-453-8907.
What if I only know the Post Office Box Number for the person I want served?
Unfortunately, we cannot serve a Post Office Box. A physical address is required.
Where can I find information on upcoming Sheriff Sales?
Notices of Sheriff Sales are published in the Summit County Journal which is published and distributed every Friday. The Notices run for a total of five weeks on consecutive Fridays prior to the sale date. You may also view them online by going to the Summit Daily News website and viewing the “Legals” section (under the "Classifieds" tab).
Snake River Sanitation District
What are the rates?
The Sewer User Fee is $108.90 per tap unit, per quarter, billed quarterly in advance. If you would like information on Tap, Inspection, and Stand by fees click on Rates & Fees.
Where can I view my bill?
We have partnered with Xpress Bill Pay to offer you the ability to access your sewer account and to make your quarterly sewer payments online. For additional information, please visit our Online Account & Bill Pay page and read our Bill Pay FAQ's
Can I set up automatic payments?
We have partnered with Xpress Bill Pay to offer you the ability to access your sewer account and to make your quarterly sewer payments online. Xpress Bill Pay does offer automatic withdrawal payments on their payment portal. For additional information, please visit: 

Online Account and Bill Pay
Do you have an RV dump site?
Contact either:The Blue River Wastewater Treatment Plant (Silverthorne Dillon Joint Sewer Authority) 26452 Highway 9 Silverthorne
Or, The Upper Blue Sanitation District's Farmers Corner facility (formerly Breckenridge Sanitation District) Highway 9 & Swan Mountain Road
How do I get a building permit signed?
Please send a copy of your building plans to [email protected] for review. Sewer plant personnel will review your building plans to provide a tap unit calculation quote. Tap fees must be paid prior to receiving sewer sign-off on the building permit sign-off card.
Transit FAQ's
Why is the bus late?
Summit Stage buses operate on a fixed schedule to make it easier to remember departure times. Traffic, weather and construction can impact schedules. Within five minutes of the stated time is considered "on time." Coming soon: an app that will tell you where the bus is.
Are there ski racks?
Summit Stage eliminated the outside ski racks some years ago. Ski equipment continues to change, which makes it difficult to provide an exterior rack system that serves all users. Additionally, buses are wider than they used to be, and they travel narrow roads in the High Country.
Why can't I get off the bus anywhere along the route?
Bus stops are planned with time and safety in mind. They are approved by the state or local governments.
Is the new Smart Bus system coming soon?
Yes!!!! The Smart Bus system is scheduled to be live late 2015. Very exciting!
What happens when a bus breaks down?
The driver alerts Dispatch, which sends out a new bus from the garage, located in Frisco near the County Commons. Depending on the broken-down bus' location, it can take half an hour or more.
I lost something on the bus.
Please call us to arrange for pickup of any lost items during our business hours: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Unfortunately, we are not able to radio the bus you were on to ask about your item. Our radios are monitored by state agencies, and we work to keep radio traffic to a minimum. Some of the buses return to the Summit Stage garage at 7 p.m., while others do not arrive until about 2 a.m.
Why can't I bring my alcoholic drink aboard the bus?
Just as in an automobile, a passenger may not have an open beverage unless the driver is in a separate compartment - which they are not! If you have an alcoholic beverage the driver can be cited.
Can I bring my pet on the bus?
Only if they are in a pet carrier.
How often are buses washed?
Buses are washed daily. But they travel on the interstate and state highways for up to 21 hours per day. In snowy or rainy weather, they can get dirty while in service.
How do I change my mailing address?
To change your address, use our quick link Address Change Form located on our home page or contact the Assessor’s office - 970-453-3480 or send an email to [email protected].
When are taxes due?
First half payments are due February 28th and second half payments are due June 15th. If paying in full, the deadline is April 30th.
What is the fee for late payments?
Once taxes become late, a 1% fee is added per month. 
I need to pay my property taxes but noticed there is a tax lien on my property. What now?
Your property now has a lien on it, meaning an investor purchased a lien by paying your delinquent property taxes at our annual sale. The investor will now earn interest off of this lien through a tax rate set by statute. The lien on your property can be redeemed at any time with the required forms completed and a certified fund payment. Additional fees will apply. Call us at (970) 453 – 3440 or email [email protected] to learn more about the redemption process and for updated amounts.
Will I lose my property if it goes to Tax Lien Sale?
No, you will not. Property owners will have an additional 3 years before the tax lien buyer can apply for the deed to said property.
What is the difference between real and personal property?
Real Property is property considered ’fixed’ to nature (this could mean the land or any improvements).Personal property is generally in regards to business, but property that is moveable and typically creates an income (equipment, furniture, etc). All personal property is still taxable unless exempt by law.
How can I verify if my taxes have been paid this year?
You can verify if your taxes have been paid by going to the home page of our website, "View Transaction History", and type in your schedule number. From here, you can see if you have a balance due, a tax lien, or no balance due at this time. You can also verify if all taxes have been paid by calling our office - 970-453-3440 or send an email to [email protected].
How can I obtain a receipt for last year's taxes?
To receive a receipt, click the "View Transaction History" button at the center of our homepage. From there, you can search for your property by schedule number. You can view your current property data, print your account statement, or print a tax notice. With any additional questions, feel free to call our office at (970) 453-3440 or send us an email at [email protected] and we can obtain an account summary for you.
How do I sign up for eNotices?
On the Treasurer’s home page, click the "Register for eNotices" button. From there, you will be asked to fill out a form with your property and personal information to register. You will need to obtain the authorization code from our office to complete this form. Please call (970) 453-3440 or send an email to [email protected].
Do you accept postmarks?
Yes, we accept postal service postmarks showing the current year payment was mailed on the payment due date.  Postmarks are not accepted for payments intended to pay off a tax lien. Call the Treasurer's office for more information at (970) 453-3440 or send an email to [email protected].
I just purchased this property. Why am I being billed for last year's taxes?
Taxes levied on real and personal property are a perpetual lien on the property without respect to ownership and have priority over all liens until they are paid in full.  The buyer and seller must settle who is responsible for the tax liability. Generally, at the closing the title company will collect a pro rata share of the current year's taxes from the seller and credit it to the buyer. Please review your closing papers. Call us for more information at (970) 453-3440 or send an email to [email protected].
Youth & Family - Foster Care
Who can become a foster parent?
Persons who:
  • Are married or single
  • Are at least 21-years of age
  • Have their own source of income from employment or benefits.
  • Can provide a safe and healthy home.
  • Have enough living space to care for a child either in a home or apartment.
  • Are willing to work with an agency, a child's family, school and others.
  • Are able to help child cope with separation from his/her family and with the effects of abuse and neglect.
  • Are able to let go when the time comes.
  • Have a felony and violence free criminal check
  • Be willing to transport to appointments.
Are there different kinds of foster homes?
Yes, they are:
  • Emergency Homes - Three homes carry a pager and are on-call for ten days each month. These homes provide short-term placements, usually a few hours to maybe a few weeks.
  • Regular Foster Homes - Take in children who may need longer care, or cover occasional back-up for Emergency Homes. These homes may make stipulations regarding the children they take into their homes.
  • Ages 0-3 Friendly Homes - Must be able to provide full-time care for an infant/toddler in your home.
  • Teen Friendly Homes - Must be able to provide care for the special needs of a teenager.
What would some of my responsibilities be as a foster parent?
  • Provide a positive and supportive environment for emotionally disturbed children.
  • Tend to the child's daily living needs which can include grooming, hygiene needs, care of clothing.
  • Provide general home management with cooking, housekeeping, nutritious meal planning, etc.
  • Use personal experience and knowledge, follow treatment plans, and have correspondence with Human Services staff and other professionals to meet those needs.
Treasurer - Tax Lien Sale
Where is the tax lien sale?
The tax lien sale is held remotely on the GovEase website; www.govease.com
When is Summit County's tax lien sale?
The date for the 2024 Tax Lien Sale has not been determined at this time. Check back after the Labor Day Holiday for more information.
What are the registration guidelines?
Registration information and guidelines will be posted on the online auction site www.govease.com closer to the tax lien sale date. 
Animal Control - Adoption Information
What is required to adopt a pet and what does the adoption include?
In order to adopt a pet, you must:

  • Own or rent a permanent residence (i.e., house, condominium, mobile home, etc.)
  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Have a current ID or driver’s license showing proof of age and address
  • Be willing and able to provide adequate training, necessary medical care, and positive attention to an adopted pet
  • Pay adoption fees of $150 for dogs, $175 for puppies, $90 for cats, and $120 for kittens
Adoption fees include the cost of the microchip and initial chip registration, spay or neuter surgery, license fee for the first year, current rabies and distemper vaccination, and a veterinary health exam. These fees also partially cover the cost of the animal’s care and feeding during the animal’s stay at the shelter.

Please understand that the Summit County Animal Shelter reserves the right to deny any application for adoption.

Note: We are not a same-day adoption shelter.
How do I adopt a pet?
Once you have chosen a pet that you would like to adopt, you will need to fill out an application for adoption (Dog Adoption Application or Cat Adoption Application) and a Property Owner / Rental Agreement. These two forms need to be completed and turned in for the staff to “hold” an animal for a potential adopter.

If you are adopting a dog and have another dog in the home, we will set up a time for you to bring your dog in to be introduced to the shelter dog in order to ensure that they will get along. We also encourage that all family members meet the pet to ensure that all are in agreement.

The shelter staff will review you application and let you know if there are any questions. Once the application is approved and the dog introduction, if applicable, is completed successfully, an adoption appointment will be scheduled at your convenience. At the time of the adoption appointment, you will sign the adoption contract, register the pet’s microchip in your name, and receive the appropriate paperwork for the pet you are adopting. You will then be able to take the pet home.
My pet has been impounded. How do I redeem my pet?
There are fees involved to redeem an impounded pet. You may contact the shelter first at (970)668-3230 to find out the amount owed or you may just come to the shelter during our normal business hours.

You will be asked to show proof of rabies vaccination on a dog, cat, or ferret. If your animal is not vaccinated or proof is not available, you will be issued a citation for Failure to Vaccinate a pet animal. You will be given 20 days to provide the shelter with proof of rabies vaccination and have the citation voided, or you may pay the citation fine or appear in court. If you live in unincorporated Summit County, Dillon, or Silverthorne, you will be required to purchase a dog license if you do not already have a current one. Our fees are as follows:

  • Base Impoundment Fee (Dog or Cat) - $50
  • Daily Kennel Charge (Dog or Cat) - $20
I can no longer keep my pet. How do I relinquish it to the shelter?
Our shelter is an open admission facility for Summit County residents. This means we will accept any pet animal without regard to health or behavior issues. You will be asked to fill out paperwork regarding your pet and its behavior as well as a relinquishment form that gives all rights to the animal to the shelter. We ask that you answer the questions honestly and thoroughly so that we can place the animal in the best possible home. We also require a relinquishment fee of $50 per animal for Summit County residents and $85 per animal for out of county residents. If we determine at the time of relinquishment that your pet is unadoptable due to a health condition or unsafe behavior, we may also charge fees for euthanasia and cremation.
How do I report my lost pet?
Contact the shelter at (970) 668-3230 to see if your pet has been impounded. If it hasn’t, ask the staff member to enter a lost report on your animal. If it is outside our normal business hours, you may leave a message on our voice mail and a staff member will contact you shortly after we open. Remember that a dog license can help to identify your pet as well as an identification tag with your name and phone number on it. A microchip is a permanent form of identification which can be obtained through your veterinarian.
How do I report a pet that I have found?
If you have found a stray pet, contact the shelter at (970) 668-3230 so that we can check our lost pet database. Often times we are able to put owners back together with their pets by tracing the tags on the animal. If there are no tags and the shelter does not have a matching lost report, an Animal Control Officer can be contacted to pick up the pet from you and impound it at the shelter. If you want to keep the pet in your home giving the owner time to claim it, our office can take a found report from you. If you find the animal after our normal business hours and you are unable to keep it through he night until an officer comes on duty, you can bring it to the shelter and put it in an after hours drop off kennel that is located on the building between the upper pen and side door.