Short-Term Rental FAQ's

Please review our short-term rental frequently asked questions
Why do you limit number of booking parties instead of nights?
Limiting the number of booking parties provides more flexibility for the STR operator, and may encourage longer stays, with less “come and go” impacts.

Please note that the 35 bookings will be counted starting October 1 to September 30 and all rental records will be submitted at renewal each year.
Why are caps by Basin and not by Neighborhood?
The Basin-level caps reflect the County’s unique areas as they exist now, without making value-laden judgements about how each neighborhood serves tourists and locals. It would be far more contentious to issue licenses on a street-by-street basis.  
Are you restricting "guest of owner" stays?
No, there is no restriction on non-paid owner guest stays. 
What are the revised License Types?
Upon adoption of Ordinance 20-C, there will only be Type I and Type II licenses granted in the NOZ. Type II Licenses will be counted under the Cap. Type I Exception Licenses will not be counted under the Cap, and will be granted continuously if the applicants meet the exception criteria. Pre-existing and Type III Licenses will be phased out at renewal 2023.
Can I put my name on a waitlist?
No, Summit County will not be keeping a waitlist [BT2] until we are below the caps. When it has been determined that any Basin is within 10% of the caps, the County will publish a process for new license issuance.
Are you taking licenses away?
No, we will reach the caps through attrition: transfers of property, and other voluntary actions through which the STR operator decides to make the STR License inactive will allow us to reach the cap over time
Why is the consideration of Peak 7 as a Resort Zone not included in this Ordinance process?
A change to the overlay zone status of Peak 7 would be an amendment to the boundaries of the overlay zones which are contained in Chapter 4 of the Land Use and Development Code. In order for the overlay zones to be amended, the application would have needed to be noticed as such prior to it going to the CWPC, and the CWPC would first have had to review the request / amended code language in detail before the request could move to the BOCC for final decision. This has not occurred, and therefore this consideration was not included in the Ordinance revisions. 
What are the requirements for a Type I Exception License?
Type I Exception Licenses will be granted if the applicant meets the criteria for a Qualified Occupant. The Qualified Occupant can be the owner or a long term renter. The applicant must show that they or their renter meet criteria for both primary residency and local workforce employment, working at least 30 hours a week in Summit County, and living on the property at least 9 months of the year. Local workforce retirees  and self-employed individuals may also meet the criteria.
If we are capping licenses, why do exception licenses exist?
Exception licenses are meant to incentivize local workforce housing. By offering uncapped licenses where a Qualified Occupant must live on the property, the offering of housing to Qualified Occupants is encouraged in order to receive a Type I exception license.
Do I need a license before advertising my short term rental?
Yes, if you rent out your home for periods of less than 30 consecutive days, you must obtain a short term rental (STR) license before advertising or operating.
How do I find out if my property is located in unincorporated Summit County?
Search for your address on the Summit County GIS Parcel Query Tool . You can locate the jurisdiction of your property on the bottom left of the page.
How do I know if my property is in a Resort Zone or a Neighborhood Zone?
The Resort Zone includes Copper Mountain, Keystone, Tiger Run Resort, and sections of Peak 7 and Peak 8 in Breckenridge. You can check the maps provided on our home page to see if your property is located in one of these areas. If your property is not in the Resort Zone, it is by default located in the Neighborhood zone.
I am switching property management companies.  How do I update that information in my STR license?
The responsible agent/property manager on the active license will need to access the license via the Host Compliance portal and update the information.
I recently purchased a home that has an active STR license.  How do I get the license switched over to my name?
STR licenses are only transferable in certain situations, relating to familial or court determined ownership agreements. The transfer exceptions listed in the Ordinance include some family transfers, marriage/divorce arrangements, transfers to an LLC, and property bequest in a will, among others. Please review the 9 transfers listed in Section 2.8 of the Ordinance.  
Is there a cap on the number of licenses being issued in unincorporated Summit County?
There is a cap on STR licenses at this time. The caps are implemented by Basin.  Please visit our website regularly to stay up to date on any changes in policies or regulations.
I am currently in the process of purchasing a property in unincorporated Summit County.  Can I apply for an STR license before closing?
For resort licenses, please email [email protected] with a letter from the current owner(s) granting the buyer permission to apply for the STR license and then proceed with the application process as usual.

For Neighborhood Licenses, you may apply for a Type I License if you meet the exception criteria for a Qualified Occupant. Otherwise, we are not accepting new licenses in the Neighborhood Overlay Zone until we reach the caps in each basin.
I have a booking that runs September 29, 2023 to October 2, 2023.  Will that count towards my 35 bookings for rental records submitted at renewal in 2024?
No, all bookings will be counted based on their start date. Since this booking began before October 1, it will not be included in the records submitted at renewal 2024.