STR Regulations

New STR Regulations as of February 15, 2023

Summit County has approved Regulations for Short-Term Rentals within unincorporated Summit County, Colorado.  Please review the revised STR Ordinance 20-C in full for all changes.

Information on Certain Topics Within the STR Regulations are Detailed Below

Click here for a FAQ on licensing, regulation, and operation of Short Term Rentals and to access quick links to forms and other information.
STR Regulations
Basin Caps
Per Section 4 of STR Ordinance 20-C, unincorporated Summit County has created caps for Type II licenses in each of the 4 basins within the Neighborhood Overlay Zone.  Therefore, no new Type II applications are being accepted at this time.  Please note that Type I licenses are an exception to the caps.  To see if you qualify for a Type I license and to apply, please visit our Type I license page.

Please review the Summit County Basin Locator Map to verify which basin your property is located in.

CAPS in the Neighborhood Overlay Zone (NOZ)

DocumentCaps on the number of Type II licenses in the NOZ of each basin are established as follows (current numbers will be reviewed and updated here by January 5th of each year):

  • Lower Blue Basin cap: 550  (607 Type II licenses as of 12/2023)
  • Upper Blue Basin cap: 590  (678 Type II licenses as of 12/2023)
  • Snake River Basin cap: 130  (189 Type II licenses as of 12/2023)
  • Ten Mile Basin cap: 20  (30 Type II licenses as of 12/2023)
The caps will be achieved by natural attrition (when a property sells or an STR owner no longer wishes to have a license).  Once the STR license numbers are within 10% of reaching the cap, staff will put in place a system on how to issue new Type II licenses.  There is no waitlist at this time.

Please view the video below for more information on STR caps and administration.

Transfer of Title
Transfer of Title and STR Licenses

Previously, no transfers of title were permitted under the same STR license.  The revised STR Ordinance now includes some exceptions where property can change hands and the owners can keep the existing STR license.  These transfers are meant to allow for familial or court determined ownership to take place without loss of the STR license.

A full list of transfer of owner exceptions are listed in Section 2.8 of Ordinance 20-C.

If transferring a title to an LLC or Trust, please fill out the Property Entity Member Form and either submit it with your STR license application or email it to [email protected] 
Well Water
Properties on Well Water

All STR properties served by well water will be required to submit a well permit at renewal and submittal.  If the STR has a hot tub, the well permit must show proper augmentation in order to continue using the hot tub. 

Please review the county's memo on short term rentals and well water for more information.

If the property has a hot tub and does not have proper augmentation, please visit the Vidler Water website to apply.  If Vidler is unable to augment your well, you may use a 3rd party delivery service.  Some companies that offer this service are:

Responsible Agent
STR Responsible Agents

The Responsible Agent (RA) is the main point of contact for your short-term rental unit. If an issue pertaining to your STR is reported, the Responsible Agent will be contacted, and he or she will have 60 minutes to respond with a plan for resolving the issue. The Responsible Agent is required to be available to respond to issues 24/7 and must have a text-enabled phone.

An STR license holder can serve as the Responsible Agent for the STR unit, but only if they can commit to being available to respond to issues 24/7.

To change the responsible agent on your STR license, click on the button, "Update Responsible Agent Information" in the Host Compliance Portal.