Traffic Control & Road Updates

Maintenance Requests

In accordance with the provisions in Section 5500 of the Code, an HOA, or other appointed group of individuals in a neighborhood can apply to the Engineering and Road and Bridge Departments to request probationary maintenance.In reviewing such requests, the county engineer and Road and Bridge director shall review the current condition of the road, the additional cost of accepting the road for maintenance, build-out in the neighborhood, and any greater public benefit of accepting the roads for maintenance.The BOCC shall consider such requests at a regularly scheduled public hearing, and shall make a decision based on the criteria in Section 5503 of the Code and the recommendations made by the county engineer and the Road and Bridge director. Contact the Engineering Department with any questions regarding maintenance of county roads.

Road Vacations

In accordance with Section 5009 of the Code and Title 43, Article 2, Part 3 of the Colorado Revised Statutes (C.R.S. 43-2-301 et seq), any party wishing to initiate a road or access easement vacation must submit the attached application to the Engineering Department.When considering such requests the county engineer, on behalf of the BOCC, shall review the possibility of future access needs, necessity for access to other properties, possible future expansion of a roadway, or possible future needs of utilities. Decisions are made for such requests by the BOCC at a regularly scheduled public hearing based on the recommendations from the county engineer and the criteria listed in C.R.S. 43-2-303.

Signs & Other Traffic Control Devices

The county engineer is responsible for approval of the installation of all new signs requested on county roads.The type of sign and location must be in conformance with the standards established in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). In general, it is our policy not to install any unnecessary signs of any nature, in accordance with guidance provided in the MUTCD.

Another common request is the installation of speed humps (also commonly referred to as speed bumps). The attached speed bump information sheet explains the process for requesting a speed bump in your neighborhood. Requests for speed bumps are initially made to the Road and Bridge or Engineering Departments, and are ultimately decided by the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) at a public hearing.To discuss or request a sign, speed bump, or other traffic control device please contact the Engineering Department.


In accordance with Section 5600 of the Code, the county engineer may grant variances from the Road and Bridge Standards if a peculiar and exceptional practical difficulty would cause undue hardship on an applicant if they were required to adhere strictly to the regulations.Most typically, variances are granted to allow for narrower widths or steeper grades on roads or driveways.Please note that a financial hardship cannot be considered grounds for a variance. To request a variance, please submit the attachedapplication to the county engineer.